1990 LS400 Transmission Fluid Change

a while back, I remember reading that RATHER than a flush, LS400 owners should politely ask for ONLY a drain and refill ... due to the possibility of causing more damage than it is worth. Urban myth or any truth? Thanks for any insight j

Reply to
Jerohm

In my experience, if the automatic transmission has been flushed regularly since new, like every 30,000 miles, then it usually doesn't hurt to flush at higher mileages. Of course, if the ATF is drained and refilled every 30,000 to 40,000 miles, then a flush is not necessary.

If the first time the transmission is flushed is at higher mileage, then I've seen flushes cause problems, usually a few months after the flush.

Reply to
Ray O

Well thanks as always Ray! Now lets SUPPOSE you really only know the history of the car for the last 40K, in which time you KNOW there hasn't been any transmission maintenance ... mainly because there is no signs of problems. The fluid is pinkish red ... with no funny smell, but you can observe tiny black "specs" in the fluid if you wipe down the dip stick. What would be YOUR recommendation @ 225K. I am not really too keen on any surprises 6 months down the road.

Reply to
Jerohm

Pinkish-red is very good. If that were my car, I would just drain and refill the transmission fluid now and do the same thing again at the next oil change. A simple do-it-yourself drain and refill is relatively inexpensive and doesn't involve dropping the transmission pan.

BOO back at ya!

Reply to
Ray O

Eeeeeeeeek! Hey - its not nice to scare a guy like that with all that yelling of Boo! even if it is Halloween.

Reply to
mcbrue