1991 ES250 random stalling problem: security feature???

I just bought a 91 ES250 with 92000 miles in great condition. I got it checked by the local Lexus dealer and my trusted import mechanic who put it thru a standard prepurchase inspection and it passed both with flying colors.

It is running perfect except sometimes right after I start it it the engine will just turn off for no reason. This has happened three times in the last week. It has a remote starter which I use frequently, I don't know if this has anything to do with it.

Does anyone know if Lexus has some kind of security feature that I'm inadvertently tripping? Or has anyone else experienced this problem? It never rides rough or stalls when I'm driving. Appreciate any input!

n c

Reply to
n c

The remote starter was not a factory option at that time, and random stalling was not a common complaint in that car so I would examine the operation of the remote starter system first. Most remote starter systems require the key to be inserted in the ignition and turned to the on position in a certain amount of time or it will shut the engine off. They will also shut the engine off if the transmission is put in gear without inserting the key and turning it to the on position. I would look to see if the ignition switch signal is getting to the remote starter's computer.

Reply to
Ray O