1992 ES300 front turn signal bulbs

I saw the thread a short while back about turn signals suddenly blinking way too fast. This is happening to my ES300 now.

Only the left side is blinking fast. The right is ok. May I assume this means it's not the relay?

Also, all the lights are still working. But the left front is a little dim. Does this imply anything

Finally, how the hell do you get in there and pull the bulbs out? I've tried a little, and all I've been able to do is remove the connector from the fixture, but I haven't been able to get to the bulb yet.

I was hoping to swap the two front bulbs and see if the symptom moves over to the right side, in which case I'd get a new bulb.

Any help would be appreciated. Are there any how-tos with good pictures out there? That would help a lot.

Thanks in advance to this knowledgeable group!

Reply to
RR

Removing front lamp assembly and correcting a fast flashing blinker. (This is the procedure for a '96 ES300. I would assume that other models are basically the same.)

  1. Open the hood and remove the plastic clips that hold the front plastic splash guard in place. This is done by pushing on the center of the plastic buttons to depress them slightly. The button (clip) can then be removed. For the buttons (clips) with the philips head center, lift the philips head center until you hear a click and then remove the whole clip.

  1. Remove the plastic splash guard.

  2. Remove the three 10mm bolts that hold the lens assembly to the fender.

  1. On the fender side of the lamp assembly there is a plastic clip that is inserted in a small flange which is part of the fender. Use a flat screwdriver to put pressure on the back of the post that protrudes thru this clip. This post, that is part of the lamp assembly, helps to hold the assemble in the correct position. Once that post is free of the clip the lens assembly can easily be removed.

  2. Un-clip the wires to the main headlights and the the parking/turn signal lamp and remove the lens assembly from the vehicle.

  1. In the case of a fast blinking turn signal, remove the turn signal bulb, test to be sure it is good, and clean the contacts of the blub, bulb holder, and the printed circuit strip on the lamp assembly.

7, Reassemble everything and test.

  1. Replace the lamp assemble in the fender and secure the splash guard with the clips.

  2. This should be about a 1/2 hour job.
Reply to
racerbill