1992 Lexus SC400 help

My mechanic has tried almost 4 used mass airflow meters, and the check engine light still comes on after a few minutes of driving. Is the part the problem, or is there something else he?s not checking. I find it hard to believe that all of these parts are defective. Please help.

SC400Mike

Reply to
mikesc400

I'd have the car checked by an ASE certified technician, not a parts-changer. Someone if access to the proper manuals can check to see if an air flow meter is functioning properly or not without having to replace it.

Whoever is working on your car probably pulled a code that pointed to a circuit, assumed that the part controlled by the circuit is bad, and started swapping parts. The proper diagnosis and repair is to test the component controlled by the circuit and then test the circuit itself. There is a chance that there is a loose pin in a connector or a chafed or cut wire somewhere.

Reply to
Ray O

Thanks for the advice Ray. Well, what I forgot to mention in my original question was that my car has been scanned numerous times and for some reason the knock sensor code comes up. My mechanic of over 2 years, and the auto shop owner says just because the code comes up doesnt mean its the knock sensor that?s causing the check engine light to come on. I am very frustrated with this whole situation, and trying my best not to have the lexus dealer check it out cause it could get expensive to check the problem by the dealer. After putting the 4th used air flow meter on today the car seems to have more power, but the check engine light comes on after about 2 to 10 minutes of driving. Something other than the airflow meter is causing the check engine light to come on. The code has been cleared over and over again. Any suggestions? Thanks.

Michael

Reply to
mikesc400

Mike,

Your mechanic and shop owner are correct when they say that just because a code for a particular circuit comes up doesn't mean that the sensor in that particular circuit is bad.

That said, if the code in the computer is pointing to a knock sensor problem and your guys are swapping air flow meters, I'd take it elsewhere. A knock sensor is easy to check out, and so is the circuit.

Reply to
Ray O