1994 Lexus

Greetings,

My brother is considering purchasing a 1994 Lexus 300 - I don't know if it's a GS, LS or whatever, just that it's a 4-door sedan the size of a Toyota Camry. It has 121,000 miles on it and the V-6 and automatic tranny. The asking price is $6,000.00 and the car looks nice and runs well.

Questions:

  1. Are there any issues with this model and year, or with this motor and transmission that would make him decide against purchasing this car?

  1. Assuming normal maintenance, what (if any) items would need attention (repair or replacement) normally at this age and mileage?

  2. What is a reasonable expectation for the fuel mileage for this vehicle assuming no major mechanical issues?

Thanks in advance for any assistance or sage words of wisdom.

Cheers - Jonathan

Reply to
Jonathan

That's the ES300. I own one. A 94, even. Got it 18 month ago with

124K on it, now has 154K on it.

Probably worth it. Check the transmission out, though. Mine crapped out at 124K miles and needed $2500 of complete rebuild--but I think that was more due to the fact that a previous owner had a corner garage do a "transmission flush" a couple of times that did more harm than good.

19/20 in the city in the summer with the AC on (it gets cold enough you can hang meat inside that thing within 5 minutes, and that's a black/black car that's been closed up sitting in the sun all day in 95 degree heat), 26/27 on the freeway in decent weather.

Check the dash lighting. It tends to wear out and bulbs need replacing. And check the guage needles as well. They'll show dead spots when they get hot. I've lived with some bulbs out for all this time, though, it's no big deal.

BTW, for some reason mine has rust at the top of the windshield, where the windshield meets the roof. Don't know if that's an issue with this model and year, but you should take a close look. I don't have any rust anywhere else.

Reply to
Elmo P. Shagnasty

I just got one two days ago. LEATHER. Make sure you tint the windows to keep the interior away from UV. The leather is hard, and ripped on the driver's seat. And this is a NJ car. Not sure where you are but CA or AZ has got to be crazy as far as this goes.

Also, make sure the Remote Lock switch (left of the steering wheel on the lower dash) is set for "on" if you indeed want to use the feature on the keys. I almost went crazy trying to figure out how to reprogram the keys, should I call the dealer, etc... to realize it was "off"...D'oh.

Reply to
xrobevansx