1994 LS 400 - Can't remove fuse.

When my LS 400 wouldn't start, we assumed it was a battery problem. We were able to get it started with a battery charger, but none of the lights would come on, you couldn't get the car out of park, (at least we have figured out how to override this) and the instrument panel will not come on. As soon as you disconnect the cables, it dies. The battery when checked shows that it is good.

The Lexus dealer (we live about 100 miles from the nearest Lexus dealership)said that a fuse near the battery was probably blown. It looks as if this is the case, but we can't get it out!!!!! Since we can't get the thing out of the driveway, I really don't want to haul it 100 miles to change a fuse. Can anyone offer some help?

Reply to
medessa

Fuses blow for a reason. I'd be looking that reason. On a ten year old car it could be a frayed wire harness. One approach would be to jumper another fuse in parallel with the blown fuse and see what causes it to blow, turn on lights, accessories, HVAC, run windows up and down, try brake lights and backup lights.

As far as removal of the old fuse, give it a shot of penetrating oil, like Liquid-wrench, let it sit for a few minutes try to pull it out.

Bob in Atlanta RX-300

Reply to
Rlstockman

Sounds like the high amperage fusible link has blown. You have to push these out through the bottom of the fuse box. In some cases you will have to unbolt the fuse box to get enough room underneath. once you have it clear of the fuse box you will see that the wires are attached to it with screws, which explains why it won't come out through the top.

As for why it blew, inspect the heavy cable that leads from the battery to the starter and the slightly lighter cable to the alternator for any signs of a short to ground. Has there been any repairs on the starter or alternator lately? Did someone try to jump start the car or use this car to jump start another one? Accidentally connecting the jumper cables backwards will blow that fusible link almost every time. If that could have happened make sure to inspect all the other fuses too. This happened to me once (reversed cables by a clueless kid) and the EFI, radio and a couple of light bulbs were also blown.

Reply to
Jeff Bertrand