1999 RX 300: Starter or Weak Battery?

Hi, We have a 1999 RX 300. After not starting it for several weeks, I tried to start it and just heard a rapid clicking sound. Today I tried to jump it with a 1998 Camry but no luck.

- I did notice that the control panel lights (speedometer, RPM, etc.) flicker and appear weak when I initially put in the key position right before trying to start.

- Also, lights in the information panel in the center of the dash don't light at all (I never really noticed before at what point they light up, but I thought I'd mention it here in case it means something).

Before taking it in for repairs, I thought I'd ask the following:

  • Does this sound like maybe a weak battery and I just need a bigger vehicle like a truck to try to jump start it?
  • If it sounds like a starter problem, does replacing a starter on this model require a professional or is it something I could do myself?

Thank you!

Reply to
Yee Hah

Sounds like crappy jumper cables or ones that were not connected properly.

Reply to
Rick Brandt

Yes, maybe, or maybe a corroded connection somewhere (battery, starter, relay, frame). How old is the battery, and has it ever in its life been run down?

My guess (remote, so take it with a grain of salt) is the starter is just fine.

Reply to
St. John Smythe

Yes and yes (kind of). You do not necessarily need a bigger vehicle, you just need one with enough alternator output or battery capacity to start your car, especially if the battery in your car is weak or dead.

If the battery has been left in a discharged state for a long time, it will lose its ability to hold a charge.

Also, if the battery is more than 5 years old, it is probably time for a replacement.

It does not sound like a starter problem, but if it is and you can see the starter, you should be able to replace it yourself.

Reply to
Ray O

By any chance did you leave the headlight switch in Auto while the car sat? If you did that killed the battery and if it was weak to start you could have a problem with a jump start.

Reply to
CFL

I recently changed the battery on mt 1999 RX 300. Fortunately it went dead in my garage so I put a battery charger on MAX and let it recharge the battery a couple of minutes before starting. Interesting, though, the clock was wrong a couple of days before the dead battery. I think it was trying to warn me!

Reply to
Nick C Topolos

Thank you all who responded. I found some Internet instructions on jump starting a car and found that in my earlier attempt I had not attached the cables in the correct and holy order. I didn't think the order would make a difference, but when I tried the instructions the car started right up!

Take care and best wishes.

Reply to
Yee Hah

The order of connecting the cables is irrelevant, as long as you connect positive to positive, and negative to negative. However, connecting them in the recommended order can reduce the chance of a spark next to a battery that may be venting hydrogen gas, which is explosive.

Your failed attempt had nothing to do with order, but everything to do with connecting the cables improperly, or failing to get a good electrical contact on at least one of the connections.

-Jay-

Reply to
Jay Somerset