1999 RX300 - engine stops if i take my foot off accelerator

Hello experts,

I cannot start my car any more. I am quite positive it's not battery, since it's pretty new and I hear the engine cranking to start. I noticed that engine runs if I also step on accelerator, but as soon as I take my foot off accelerator, the engine just stops cold.

There were no prior signs of anything being wrong.

Any guesses?

Thanks

P Adhia

Reply to
P Adhia

It is usually more cost-effective to have your vehicle diagnosed by a competent technician than trying guesses from strangers on the internet. That said, I would check the idle air control valve, mass air flow sensor, and check for cracks or holes in the intake between the mass air flow sensor and the throttle body.

Reply to
Ray O

I had a mitsubishi that did that, it was some solenoid that needed to be replaced. There is no way around repairing it

Reply to
jdoe

Point well taken. I was just looking to get my car started temporarily so I can drive it to a mechanic, instead of having it towed.

These things are already beyond my skills. But good to know, so I can nod my head when I talk to mechanic instead of staring at him blankly :).

I checked with one of the toyota dealer, one technician asked me to get one of the solution that cleans fuel injection system and see if that can get the car started just long enough for me to drive to the service center. Do you see if this process will harm any parts of the car anyway? Also, sorry to ask a dumb question, but is there anything beyond adding the fuel injection cleaning solution to the gas tank?

Thanks for the response.

P Adhia

Reply to
P Adhia

Thanks for the response. You are right. I was going to take it to a mechanic anyway, but looks like I am going to have to pay the towing company too :(

P Adhia

Reply to
P Adhia

Chevron Techron Fuel Injector Cleaner is a good do-it-yourselfer product. Follow the directions on the bottle, which in believe entails emptying the contents of the bottle in a half-full gas tank and driving the vehicle enough to use up the contents of the gas tank within a week. It should not harm anything in the vehicle unless you let the stuff sit in the tank to long, when it starts to eat hoses.

Good luck!

Reply to
Ray O

If anyone is interested:

This was caused by "dirty" fuel injection. After I poured a can of fuel injection cleaning solution in the gas tank, I could start the car next day. Just to be safe, I took my car to the dealer, who initially suggested this might be cause, and had them perform the fuel injection cleaning service.

Whew, I guess this could have been worse (though still keeping my fingers crossed).

Thanks to everyone who responded.

P Adihia

Reply to
P Adhia