2000 ES 300 TRAC OFF LIGHT KEEPS COMING ON

We bought the car used about 10 months ago, this is the 3rd time, the car will be fine then all of a sudden the TRAC OFF LIGHT comes on, the car doesn?t drive as smooth, and it cost $109 /each time to replace the part. I have been told there are six of these. Any one else have a problem with this? Please advise on what to do.

Reply to
wilson

I have an 03 GS 300, but the evap system may be similar to your car. The TRAC OFF light came on in my car, along with the Engine Service Light. Turned out to be a loose gas cap. I knew that a loose gas cap would trigger the Engine Service light, but I did not know it would trigger the TRAC light also. You might check the gas cap the next time this happens and make sure it has been reinstalled tightly after re-fueling. If it is loose, re-tighten it and the lights should go off after a few days of driving/start /re-start cycles. SF

Reply to
sf/gf

The Trac Off light often comes on older Lexus (ES/GS 300 etc.) when the Oxygen sensor(s) fail. This usually happens around 50,000 or so miles - especially the one in the engine compartment. I am aware of only two, one in the engine exhaust manifold and one just past the catalytic converter. I replaced the engine one with a universal part for $30.00 myself in 15 minutes - and the TRAC light went off. I'll change the other one when I have time or when it fails...but it will fail.

The sensors are very important for a smooth ride and best gas consumption.

Reply to
Michael