2000 ES300 Platinum Starting Problem

Hello,

I am experiencing intermittent problems with engine starting on my

2000 Lexus ES300 Platinum. I know for certain that it is not the battery, because eventually, the car does start. I know there is a mechanism in the car to prevent starting when not in P or N, or for other reasons.

Here's what happens:

  1. Insert key and try to start. I get a split-second sound like it is going to start, then it just stops.
  2. Try several of the following in any combination and eventually it starts: a. Just try again b. Jiggle the key c. Pull the key out and reinsert d. Move the shift lever to N, try, then back to P. (requires pressing the shift-lock release) e. Pull out the key, turn it over and insert it that way
  3. Car eventually starts

I'm trying to figure out what component might be going bad. Could a low battery in the key cause this? Could the gear selection protection component (requires car to be in P or N) be going bad? I'm sort of leaning towards the latter.

Any suggestions?

Thank you! James Nashville, TN

Reply to
James

The battery in the key is just for the keyless entry system and doesn't affect starting.

Clue #1 eliminates pretty much everything except for worn starter solenoid contacts, low vehicle battery and loose connections.

The most likely cause of the problem is worn starter solenoid contacts. Check for power at the starter solenoid when the key in the start position. If there is power there, the solenoid contacts are suspect. If you are handy, you can remove the starter and solenoid, replace the contacts, and put everything back together.

Reply to
Ray O