2000 Lexus ES300 - intermittent cold start problem - help please

On the last occurrence, it did not start after several tries. So, I decided to give it gas while trying to start, which worked. The Interstate Battery (MTP-24F) is new (January 2008). Anyone know what the problem might be?

Reply to
Adam

When you say that the car does not start, do you mean that the engine does not turn over or do you mean that it cranks but does not start?

How many miles on the car?

If the engine does not turn over, does it make a clicking sound?

Does it start if you jump start the car?

Reply to
Ray O

The engine does not turn over, I think. I'm not sure about the clicking sound. Wasn't paying attention for a clicking sound the last time that it happened (~1 week ago). Will listen for it if it happens again.

The car has just over 130,000 miles on it.

Haven't tried jump starting. The last time that the problem happened, I tried giving it gas while turning the ignition, which worked.

Reply to
Adam

If all you get is a clicking or no sound when you turn the ignition key to the start position, check the starter solenoid contacts - they may be worn and can be replaced without having to replace the entire starter.

Reply to
Ray O

Can't seem to get the problem to occur now. Will keep the info in mind though.

Reply to
Adam

I'm not into automobile DIY. So, if I were to get these parts, would a mechanic do this for me? I can already hear my mechanic telling me to just replace the starter.

See below:

&TopicID=123037

Reply to
Adam

&TopicID=1> 23037

Could this not be simply a dying battery? Or maybe a loose POS(+) / NEG(-) connection. I've had both with identical symptoms.

Anyway, here's the unbroken URL.

&TopicID3037

Reply to
Anonymous

&TopicID=1> > 23037

&TopicID=123037

The Interstate Battery (MTP-24F) is new (January 2008). But, I'll double check the connection.

Reply to
Adam

&TopicID=1>> > 23037

&TopicID=1> 23037

Well, that's what I get for being late on the thread !

Reply to
Anonymous

It depends on your mechanic, but it should be a fairly easy job for a competent automotive technician.

Reply to
Ray O