2000 RX 300 oil pan or rear main seal leak?

2000 RX 300, 35K miles original owner.

Oil first started seeping and is now dripping from the mating surface between the engine and transaxle. I've removed the inspection cover and I can see some oil on the oil pan bolts. However, drive plate is surprisingly dry. I would expect it to have oil on it from a rear main leak, but I don't know the design of the Toyota/Lexus 3.0 V6 engine. I cannot see any higher up. I trying to determine if this is an oil pan leak or rear main seal. The oil seems to drip when the engine is running, however it this may be from the oil splashing around and exiting via a pan leak.

It seems very premature for a rear main seal, I could use some advice on further diagnosis.

Thanks in advance.

Reply to
Danny

It may still be covered by the powertrain warranty, why not ask your dealer?

The easiest way to determine the cause of a leak is to clean up the engine and watch where the oil appears. Another way is to have UV dye mixed with the oil and then have someone with a UV light look for the source.

Reply to
Ray O

I'll ask, but the 2000 warranty is 4yr 50k miles.

Dan

Ray O wrote:

Reply to
Danny

Are you sure it is not coming from a valve cover and leaking down. A rear main seal should last the life of the car. Hope you took and extended warranty.

Reply to
TWW

I have a 2000 Rx300, and at 49,000 approximately we replaced the rear main bearing seal. $1,500.00 to stop an oil leak. This was after the

4 year period. :(

Reply to
fish

My wife has a 99 RX300 which needed a rear main seal under CPO warranty at

45K miles.

There was a design change to the seal to prevent this, according to my dealer.

Be sure you get the improved design when you replace the seal.

Reply to
Stephen Clark

"" wrote: > My wife has a 99 RX300 which needed a rear main seal under CPO > warranty at > 45K miles. > > There was a design change to the seal to prevent this, > according to my > dealer. > > Be sure you get the improved design when you replace the seal. > > > -- > Stephen Clark > 99 Lexus RX300 > Houston, Texas USA

I have a 2000 RX300, it started leaking around 70K,it now has 76K. Although I have not had a proper diagnosis I?m sure it is the rear main seal. Very frustrating considering the expense involved to replace what is essentially a low buck part. Until now I?ve just kept driving it and checking the oil level, although I can smell the oil burning on the exhaust when I park it. I have considered tackling it myself, but I think my wrenching days are long over.

I will probably bite the bullet and just pay the dealer the $1300 to replace it. Arrrhhh! :evil:

Just wait until you have to start replacing Air Fuel Sensors.. ;-)

Summary: Tires: 42K (Bridgestones originally, replaced w/ Michelin Cross Terrains) Power Antenna Mast: 3-1/2 years Battery: 4 years Emissions Sensor(??): 62K? Lexus replaced out of warranty, no questions asked, none given. Rear Brakes: 65K Rear Main Seal: 70K (Not repaired) Air fuel Sensor: 75K (Replaced myself w/ Denso OE Type) Accessory Belt: Replaced by dealer at scheduled maintenance but squeals, will replace again myself. In fact I am going to start doing all of my own scheduled maintenance. Dealer does not represent good value at all and tries to up charge for things like tranny flush. (Tranny flush???) I thought this was a Toyota Dealer tactic, not Lexus. Front Brakes: 76K(Now, tomorrow in fact) Tires: again possibly at 85K (before snow?)

Reply to
headcheese

Reply to
TWW