2000 RX300 Air Conditioner Recharge

Hi - I am new here and would like to recharge my AC. Can someone tell me where the cap/connector is located? I purchased coolant in a can and would like to recharge myself. Any tips would be greatly appreciated. Thank you - Gordo

Reply to
Gordo

In addition to the sound advice already given (e.g., if you have to ask the question, you should not even think about doing this yourself), the first question should address the point that the system is leaking somewhere and just adding refrigerant will be a waste of time and money and eat more ozone in the atmosphere. A five year old car should not normally be leaking. I would suggest taking it to a professional.

Reply to
Romy

Thanks Ray. When writing that I actually had a "vision" of my Jewish lawyer-friend attempting it. He's really a swell guy and great personal friend, but absolutely the poster child for the bookworm with the tape-wrapped banged thumb. The man could seriously injure himself with a child's rubber hammer.

It's his nature and background to try to save a few bucks here and there and I respect him for that, but you'd think he'd eventually learn his limitations. With very few exceptions everything he's tried to do to avoid having to pay someone to do for him has either resulted in skinned knuckles, snagged/torn pants or ruined shirt or "doing it wrong" and damaging what he set out to pinch pennies on, with the net result costing him more than if he'd hired it done in the first place. He keeps his cars only until the warranty runs out for obvious reasons. ;-)

Reply to
New Owner

Was it Clint Eastwood who said, "a man got's to know his limitations."

Reply to
Ray O

Perhaps I will show my lack of knowledge, but I thought the A/C systems in today's autos were closed systems and unless you have a leak, there isn't any reason to "recharge".

If you have a leak, before you recharge, you definitely need to fix that!

Am I mistaken on the recharge part??

Thanks.

Reply to
Curtis Newton

The systems are closed but it is natural for some refrigerant to leak over time. The proper procedure is to evacuate the system with a vacuum pump and refrigerant recovery device and then recharge.

Reply to
Ray O

Gotcha, thanks for the explanation.

Curt

Reply to
Curtis Newton

You're welcome!

Reply to
Ray O

"Gordo" wrote: > Hi - I am new here and would like to recharge my AC. Can > someone tell me where the cap/connector is located? I > purchased coolant in a can and would like to recharge myself. > Any tips would be greatly appreciated. Thank you - Gordo

Well I did it, it was very very simple and it worked excellent! Thanks for all of your advice. Gordo

Reply to
Gordo