2000 RX300 - Sun Visor keeps dropping

Folks --

Sun Visor on the passenger side is very loose .. and does not stay in place .. causing it to drop suddenly while I am driving (potential hazard). Bought the car in August 2000 - so it is just under 8 years.

Is this something considered under warranty ?

I am trying to find any other remedy .. replacing it will cost a whopping $600 (according to a dealer) as this visor has electronic buttons to help open garage door, etc.

Any ideas .. appreciated.

Reply to
techtrainer

It probably would be considered warranty if the warranty coverage was still in effect, but it has probably expired by now.

Remove the visor and see if you can slide the visor off of the rod, wrap a piece of plastic from a plastic milk bottle around the rod to act as a shim, and re-install the visor.

Reply to
Ray O

Thanks very much Ray and rgw3955. I checked, it is not under warranty anymore (expired 4 years after I bought the car) Agree, it is criminal to spend 600 on this .. that can easily buy valuable 90K service (or at least a portion of it).

I did try the velcro trick but was not able to find velcro that sticks well on the visor cloth material. Second issue is this is still a problem when I really want the visor down to block the sun as it does not stay in position.

I need to try Ray's suggestion of taking it out from the rod and put some packing material around it. Though I am not sure on how to open this.

Reply to
techtrainer

If you really get stuck, I'll try taking mine apart.

Reply to
Ray O

Thanks Ray O:

I tried to slide the visor out .. but cannot do it. It has become loose in this place .. and as I tried to twist it I realized that this is pieced as one assembly (or sold as a part). If you can figure take this out .. please do let me know the trick behind it.

Second question -- can you think of anything else .. I am not able to find velcro strip which would stick well on the cloth surface. Any other ideas appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Reply to
techtrainer

I'm not sure if the visors for your RX are the same as on my LS, but if you disconnect the inboard side of the visor from the clip and swing the visor towards the side window, you can pull the visor flap rearwards, exposing some of the rod that the flap swings on. If you can do that with yours, try pulling the flap to the length of the rod and put a very thin coating or a few dabs of clear bathtub caulk on the rod, letting it dry for a day or two, and then see if the flap stays up.

If you have to remove the visor, swing it down and pop the trim piece at the pivot point off of the base of the pivot point to expose the 2 Phillips screws that hold the visor in place.

Reply to
Ray O

Reply to
stuart8181

Ray -- Many thanks .. I will try this out.

Reply to
techtrainer