2001GS430 new battery completely dead

I wonder if anyone else has a similar problem. Brand new battery. However, the car has not been driven for over 3-4 months. When a battery booster from another car is used, there is no problem to start. Once it starts, it can start a few more times after. Can trickle charges (for alarm system, etc) drain a brand new battery quickly? Perhaps the engine does not charge the battery back when running? Or is there a fuse that burn out? Completely dead means when you open the door, no lights came out, no clock, automatic positioning of steering wheel, etc is dead when the ignition key is entered... even the power lock was disenganged (car was locked previously) Thanks for info.

Reply to
aniramca

On 5 Mar 2006 14:52:11 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com graced this newsgroup with:

It's possible that your car isn't charging the battery properly. It might be a good idea to get your charging system checked. However, it's not all that unusual for a new battery to be defective. Chrysler had a run of bad OEM batteries in their Durango's that were fine one day and then suddenly completely dead. Many of them didn't even last a year. Don't ask how I found this out. :-(

A battery is only as good as the last time it was used. The law of averages show most batteries are expected to last 3-5 years, but just like anything electrical and/or mechanical, the odds are still 50/50 each time you turn the key.

Reply to
kegler

It is normal for a modern car's battery to gradually discharge over time. It will definitely be dead after 3 or 4 months due to power being used to retain memory in the engine and transmission computers, radio stations, clock, etc. If the battery is left in a discharged state, it will become sulfated and will no longer hold a charge.

If routinely plan to park the car for long periods of time, then invest in an automatic trickle charger for the battery. Sears sells one for under $30 that installs under the hood in the engine compartment and all you have to do is plug it in when you park or store it. Or, you can invest in a larger capacity battery charger that has a trickle and automatic on-off function.

Reply to
Ray O

A battery tender would be a good investment.

have one of these on my Shelby which is stored for 8 months and fires right up, works great.As stated in another post. There is a lot of things in these cars that require voltage. I would check the owners manual for reference to long term storage. In the past, I have seen cars kill new batteries in a matter of days due to defective seat switches, but I don't think that applies here.Good Luck Bill

Reply to
Bill in Yakima

On Mon, 6 Mar 2006 11:13:44 -0800, "Bill in Yakima"

graced this newsgroup with:

yup..clocks, alarms, computers etc., on modern cars continue to run and that parasitic loss slowly drains the battery. Couple that with a electrical short and a battery could die fairly quickly.

I personally wouldn't let a car sit for more than 2 or 3 weeks without the battery being on a float charger (like the Battery Tender).

I have one hooked up on my Harley for the winter for the same reason.

-aki

Reply to
kegler