2002 Lexus SC430 navigation help!

the top bottom tab tab then right tab and got into the service menu. But i made a mistake of selecting a location which made the navigation screen turn into japanese and now it's asking for a dvd and i took the car to the dealership they tried a gen 4 rescue dvd but it did not work i have no idea what to do any help would be appreciated!!!

Reply to
Melissa

Does the dealer have any earlier generation rescue DVD's?

Did you try to get into the service menu and selection a different location?

Reply to
Ray O

Do you need to find a person who reads Japanese in order to make the right selection to return it to English? (Happened to one of my colleagues once with a made-in-Japan DVD player).

Reply to
St. John Smythe

You can't get into another screen cause it's in the process of uploading the new dvd and since i don't have the japanese dvd it's stuck where it's at. And dealer can't get a hold of the right dvd so i have no idea what to do :(

Reply to
Melissa

Reply to
Melissa

Ok Melissa. This happened to me on my 02 LS430 and there's only ONE INEXPENSIVE WAY that you can fix this. The dealers think that you either have to get a Japanese DVD (fat chance) or replace the entire ECU (nearly a grand to replace).

However, I found this obscure reference to this problem in the Prius owners forum when doing a search. Apparently there *is* a way to fix this but it's not for the faint hearted.

I took my ECU unit (it's the DVD unit in your trunk) out and disassembled it and found the hidden reset switch. Holding the reset switch for about 10 seconds (did not have to be powered on, it has it's own internal watch like battery in the ECU to preserve it's settings), it "defaulted" back to the US configuration. Once I put everything back together and powered it back up with my US DVD, it worked fine.

There is only ONE button on the ECU motherboard so you can't reset the wrong switch. A second method is to *completely* drain the battery (there are two versions of motherboard, one with and one without the reset switch, it seems to be a crap shoot which one you get), there's various methods to do this, a flashlight bulb with two leads and alligator clips will work. I've read posts that said this was successful as well. The battery is soldered onto the motherboard so there's no simple way to remove it hence the draining procedure. Leave it that way overnight to drain.

If you have someone who's really handy with a soldering iron, I assume they could remove the battery and resolder it to do a quick reset as well. This battery is rechargeable so once you power the unit up, it'll recharge itself well enough in about 20 minutes of driving to preserve your settings.

Either of the methods above will reset your DVD Nav system back to the US mode. Not exactly a simple process but it IS much cheaper than buying a new ECU unit or far faster than waiting for a Japanese version to be shipped from Japan (and whatever outrageous costs that may incur).

01dyna
Reply to
01dyna

Reply to