2004 LS430 Pricing - how much over invoice ?

Looking at buying a 2004 LS430, since the used 2002 I was eyeing has been sold, and I much prefer the appearance of the 2004 model. I took my father to see a

2004 LS430, and after driving it, he's considering selling/trading his 2000 Mercedes E430 4Matic for one too. Think a dealer would *really* cut us a deal if we bought or ordered two LS430s? What is a fair price? I read on a thread here that someone paid as low as $1500 over invoice? Do Lexus dealers get a 2% holdback on MSRP, in addition to what they earn over the invoice price? We'd both get either silver/flint mica with black/gray leather, Navi/Levinson, and the euro-sport package. Do we have a better chance of discount with what is on the lot or via ordering both? I would love to hear all thoughts and opinions...

Randy in Chicago

Reply to
Randy S

RJM

Holdbacks are a domestic dealer thing. If someone came within $1500 of invoice on a new LS, they did EXTREMELY well.

Reply to
GRL

Imports also have holdbacks. See

JWC

Randy, just an FYI, I heard from my dealer that the LS 430 is suffering from the same acceleration lag as the ES 330. It seems the added HP of the LS 430 helps with minimizing the lag, but the LS 430 uses the same electronic throttle system and owners are getting POed. This problem affects some of the vehicles worse than others, so when testing the vehicle that you will buy, make sure you test for the symptoms.

Reply to
Dan J.S.

Nope, Lexus has a 2% holdback. Not that any dealer is likely to get into their holdback money on the hot-selling LS430 anyway, so it is a bit academic.

- Mark

Reply to
markjen

In most markets, the LS430 is selling extremely well, so you're unlikely to get down into the $1500 over invoice range, let alone touch the 2% holdback that Lexus gives dealers. And while buying two cars gives you slightly more leverage, dealers are unlikely to make the deal significantly better for two.

Edmunds.com can give you a sense of your market and I'd get on the LS430 forum there and see what others are doing in your area. Actual experiences of people shopping in your area are the best guide. I think you'll find it discouraging.

Be wary of heresay on the internet where someone says they bought a car for significantly less than market. People fudge the numbers to boast of a better deal by ignoring tack-on charges, or failing to disclose that they had a trade-in which completely muddys the picture. When the day is done, the best deal is what you can get in your area on the day you want to buy.

- Mark

Reply to
markjen

You're absolutely right about the lag problem on an LS430. My current '03 LS439 has this problem, as did my previous '99 LS400.

The problem is that when I apply 1/2 to 3/4 throttle while moving betwen 20-40 mph (to merge onto a highway), the car hesitates in downshifting up to a second (seems like an hour). Several times I've had to cancel my merge attempt because of this.

I've compla>

Reply to
Helmar Herman

Well I'll be darned. I stand corrected. I still say $1500 over invoice is extremely good, though.

Reply to
GRL

And I agree. In today's market, that's a smoking deal on a LS430.

- Mark

Reply to
markjen

Randy, I just purchased a 2004 LS with modern Lux, Euro Suspension, SmartKey last week in Dallas/Fort Worth area. Paid $5k over invoice. I think I could have done a little better had I not wanted the Euro Suspension and a specific color and considering only the available inventory. Good luck!

Reply to
Ed B.

Randy, I just purchased a 2004 LS with modern Lux, Euro Suspension, SmartKey last week in Dallas/Fort Worth area. Paid $5k over invoice. I think I could have done a little better had I not wanted the Euro Suspension and a specific color and considering only the available inventory. Good luck!

Reply to
Ed B.

Randy,

Being a Chicago Area Dealer Manager you can probably expect to pay about $3500.00 over on a car like that. Another poster said they could buy an ES for $1000.00 over and while that is a true statement for either an ES or RX due to the fact that they are our volume models and do sell cheaper the LS is a premium vehicle with limited availibility that usually reqires a premium. If you can pick them up for around $3500.00 you are doing a good job IMHO.

Myles

Randy S wrote:

Reply to
msb

My understanding on the lag is that it has to do with meeting the emmisions regulations and it's a software problem, The ES 330 is fine now but it sounds like the LS has not been fixed yet. I hate to pay more than I have to and $3500 dollars over invoice would not do...Has anyone had experience with some of the online buyers like "ewheels" or up here in Canada "CarCost" They essentially promote to search for the best price in a wide area and try to find the best price. I am looking to buy but they are trying to steal my Mercedes...

Reply to
ElSupremo

yeah, you guys have class.. the dealer in Jersey sounds like they do too. I think the welcome package the dealership sends out is a follow up package which will have a thank you card plus a follow up questionare on how the delivery went etc.

Reply to
ElSupremo

I hate to pay more than I have to and $3500 dollars over invoice would not do...

Here is a good way to find out. Call up a few Lexus dealers and ask them if they would sell a 430 for incoice + (say) $1500, and see what they say. Try and call the larger dealerships in major markets. You can always call again with a higher figure. Bob

Reply to
Bob