'90 LS400 - R12 to R134 A/C Conversion

'90 LS400 240,000miles

With no A/C blowing, I recently converted the refrigerant from R12 to R134. The system still does not blow cold. Dealership says compressor is gone. Worked fine in the fall. While investigating rebuilt OEM compessors, I read some posts re: the upgraded R134 system working at different pressure than the R12 system and the original A/C pressure valve (which controls the compressor) may not work when the system is converted to R134.

Any merit to this? Should the original pressure switch work properly in a converted A/C system?

Thx Chip L

Reply to
Chip L

The process of converting from R-12 tro R-134A is more than just filling the system with 134-A. Besides evacuating the system and draining all of the old oil, you need to replace the receiver-drier.

Here is a pretty thorough description of the process:

Ray O

and of course any rubber bits in the system. A drop in replacement gas would be an easier way to go.

Reply to
mrcheerful