90 Ls400 Shift Lock Problem

Well this started last Friday... I guess 2007 hasn't been that great for the car (218K).

When I press on the brake, it is a crap shoot whether I can shift out of park. Of course I CAN always use the release button ... and THAT works 100% of the time.

Well today, I had the cruise control on, and pressing on the brake no longer would kick it out of 'cruise' mode. As a matter of fact, if I would keep pressing on the brake, the car WOULD slow down, but would SURGE FORWARD (trying to get back to the 'set' speed I ASSUME), when I released my foot. The control on the steering wheel functions 100% as intended.

Someone is looking at this tomorrow, but I would SURE LIKE to know the answers BEFORE taking the car in!

Is there a switch on the brake pedal that is common to BOTH these symptoms? Any additional insight would also be appreciated!

Thanks, j

Reply to
Jerohm

Do your brake lights come on when you depress the brake? If not then I would definately say it's the brake pedal switch.

Reply to
lphillips.jr

: : :

YOU are a pretty smart guy! I didn't even THINK about whether my brake lights were working... which they ARE NOT ... which is probably the most dangerous aspect of this whole situation. It is 20F out tonight and I tried to get the shift lock to work without success... At least I have more info for the garage in the AM; it is NOT a dealership ... but my town DOES have a local Toyota dealer. Any guess whether this is going to be a Lexus specific OR Toyota compatible part? (Yeah, I KNOW ... I am asking for an awful lot!! ) Thanks for your insight! j

Reply to
Jerohm

I doubt it is a Lexus specific part

Reply to
old man

All I know is they were able to get/install the part AND installed new rear rotors/pads (which I provided) for the low low cost of $195, which I FEEL was a virtual bargain. Thanks everyone for your comments! Happy Holidays. j

: :

Reply to
Jerohm