91 ES250 Loud Throttle Noise

The engine was running very smooth until we took it in for a tune up. Mechanic suggested we change one of the engine mount and performed the task. Now the car runs quite noisily, especially when gear is shifted, as if it's throttling very high. Call back the mechanic and he claimed it's the way the engine should reve. He also claimed he did not adjust anything on the engine. Took it to a Lexus dealer and they cleaned the gunk out as a minor service but the problem still persists. Dealer suggested to change the remaining 3 mounts! My question is could changing one mount cause the problem? I now feel like I'm driving a truck and not a smooth well-tuned Lexus. Please advise.

Reply to
Roku Saburo via CarKB.com

Does the tachometer show higher than normal RPM? Are all of the clamps on the air filter compartment clamped shut?

Bad engine mounts usually cause clunking noises, not noises that sound like engine noises. Does it sound like an exhaust leak?

Reply to
Ray O

Thanks Ray O.

  1. Tachometer seems normal
  2. Not sure what exhaust leak sounds like
  3. Either mechanic screwed up when replacing the engine mount; or, uneven balance of engine by new and existing mounts (quite old)?
Reply to
Roku Saburo via CarKB.com