91 Maxima or 1994 LS400 or GS300 ?

Hi,

I have a high mileage 91 Maxima with about 270K miles. I'm thinking of buying another used car, and considering a Lexus that costs less than $15,000.00. I have considered newer maxima models too, and could fine some 2000s around that price.

The main reason I'm moving from my current maxima is the mounting cost of repairs on a 12 year old car - i had so far sunk about 1500 into this car this year alone, replacing a number of broken parts.

If I buy a 1994 Lexus, what kinds of expensive repairs should I anticipate? Would it be better to get a newer maxima or a GS300?

Thanks in advance for your assistance ..

/N

Reply to
Noela

If you like your current Maxima, I'd either continue to repair it or spend the $15K for as new a Maxima as you can find. A $15K GS300 is going to be a good car, but not appreciably better than a late-model Maxima, and will likely have a lot more miles and relatively expensive service. It is hard to beat a Maxima for value and overall low cost of ownership.

OTOH, if you want a more prestigious car with more features and a little more comfort, a GS is a good choice. But I'd try and swing a little extra dough (or wait a year or two) and get into the 2nd generation. 98's are starting to drop below $20K and are a much better car than the earlier models. I have a pristine 98 with only 33K miles that I'll probably trade in the next 6-months and I doubt I'll get more than $19K. This is the kind of car I'd look for if you really want a GS.

- Mark

Reply to
markjen