'92 ES300 reverse gear slips. Why?

My 16 year son just purchased a 1962 Lexus ES300 with a 160k miles. Car ran out great and carfax had a good history. When car is warm the A540E automatic transmission slips in reverse. Trans was a little low on fluid and I filled with Dextron but that didn't change the problem. My research indicates there could be a sensor problem and maybe this could simply be an adjustment or a sensor replacement. Could any one out there shed some light on this before I have to take it to the shop? As an ex-service manager I have little faith in some transmission shops. I know there are lots honest shops and techs but I am not crazy about my odds of finding one. I am located in Reno, NV. Thanks...

Reply to
oldtimer

Dealership might be better able to diagnose it. But with the age and miles, there's a high chance that it's worn out.

ran out great and carfax had a good history. When car is warm the A540E automatic transmission slips in reverse. Trans was a little low on fluid and I filled with Dextron but that didn't change the problem. My research indicates there could be a sensor problem and maybe this could simply be an adjustment or a sensor replacement. Could any one out there shed some light on this before I have to take it to the shop? As an ex-service manager I have little faith in some transmission shops. I know there are lots honest shops and techs but I am not crazy about my odds of finding one. I am located in Reno, NV. Thanks...

Reply to
Rex