96 ES CD changer??

I have a dead CD changer in my 96 ES. Audio shop says it is a Pioneer, but that the connectors are a non-standard Lexus design. Where can I get a replacement changer?

I want to continue using the existing tuner since it sounds great, and I don't want to carve up the dash area with after market stuff. There is no Lexus dealer in my area, nor should I need one to replace a broken CD, but I do need to know what I can order that will fit and work. The tech at the audio store said about $300, but he would not know what to order.

I'd like to do this as cheap as possible. What are my choices? It doesn't have to be a Pioneer. Any suggestions appreciated. Thanks

Reply to
TANKIE

If there's enough slack on the cables, the audio shop may simply cut off the Lexus connectors and splice standard Pioneer connectors onto the cables. The audio shop probably didn't think of that.

Reply to
HarrierAWD

The connectors being supposedly non-standard means nothing, since you want to repair your unit, not put in something with different connectors.

I had my 6 CD changer in my 1992 (identical to yours) repaired twice, once was $135 and once it was $150 (I removed and reinstalled the unit from the trunk myself). Three hundred dollars is gouging, probably. Take your changer to another audio repair shop and get another estimate. And another, if necessary. If they don't want to repair it for under, say $175, then look on eBay, where I have seen some used 1992-1996 ES300 CD changers being sold for between $120 and $200, plus shipping. Although they are getting closer to needing repair as they are aging.

The Lexus dealers do not repair the CD changers-I asked. They recommended trading mine in for a refurbished one for some ridiculous price. And brand new factory changers, if available from Lexus, are extremely expensive. The changers sound good, but not THAT good!

Reply to
Larry Parker

I believe that the original poster Tankie wanted to replace the broken Lexus CD changer with a new Pioneer unit. Therefore it makes sense to replace the connectors. It's actually quite simple.

Repairing the CD changer is an option, but it is usually not worth the trouble as you have experienced. So Tankie is better off with a new unit as he was planning to do.

Reply to
HarrierAWD

OK>...before this goes further......

I work at a car electronics repair shop. We are Lexus/Pioneer authorized.

HarrierAWD... You have no idea what your talking about, I'm sorry to be rude, but its a fact. You ABSOLUTELY cant just splice new Pioneer connectors to the Lexus wiring in the glove box. Lexus had Pioneer build the changers with a proprietary data bus language. The two microprocessors, one in the radio and the other in the changer, are as different as an Apple printer and an IBM PC.

Larry Parker I agree with a lot of what you have said. A changer repair should be in the

130 to 200 range. It is impossible for us to say what needs repaired cause none of us have seen the thing. It could have water damage and be a total loss. I would not buy a changer on Ebay. There is no guarantee that the changer works. There is no guarantee that the changer purchased is the same data protocol. A changer purchased on Ebay would need to be the exact model number for a lay person to do the buying. You accuse the audio tech of price gouging, but he admitted that he didn't know. So his price is just a guess. It also could have included labor, and a shop will charge $25? to remove and $25? to reinstall? A repair is 200? so $250 is within reach of a shop quote. Don't be so hard on his price.

Lastly.......TANKIE. Your changer can be repaired. It can NOT be replaced with an Aftermarket changer. Currently there are no adaptors that will allow another manufacture changer "talk" to the radio in the dash. Even an aftermarket Pioneer changer will not work. Different languages. The only 'other company' changer that will work will be one that is FM Modulated, and you dont want that.

So..... Just get yours fix. I'm sorry it broke, and getting it fix aint gonna be "cheap". Lexus' are not "cheap" cars. Budget $175 to $225 for the repair and pay it.

If worse comes to worse, you could call me and I will instruct you how to remove the changer, send it to us, and we can get it fixed, ship it back to you.

Good luck and post here to let us all know what happened.

Reply to
Masterson

LEXUS dealership or salvage yard (from another Lexus)

Nothing else but genuine Lexus will fit -or- work

For that price you might be able to find one in a salvage yard. The replacement unit for the '96 from a dealership is around $1200. However, I believe they have an exchange program. Have you checked with the Lexus dealer?

To my knowledge there is nothing available aftermarket that will fit or connect without custom ($$) work.

Reply to
New Owner

You are Lexus authorized??? I have no idea that Lexus would authorize a third-party electronics repair shop. That's news to me. Post your business name and address so we can all look it up.

Looks like you're just trying to drum up business.

Reply to
HarrierAWD

There are companies that make adapters:

Dan J.S.