99 RX300 - MP3 Options?

Hi, I own a 1999 RX300 and am looking for advice. It has the glove box CD changer. My dream would be to upgrade the CD changer to one which accepted MP3 formatted CDs and then to have an interface for navigating the CD through the in dash display. Is this possible?

Barring this, it seems like the only other options are:

  1. Install a custom MP3 CD player in dash. I think this might be expensive as the console is not built to simply accept a standard sized deck, so some sort of custom harness would have to be used, and it might affect resale value because it would basically disconnect and render useless the glove box CD changer.

  1. Purchase an iPod or portable MP3 CD/Flash player and use a tape adapter / car lighter power kit. Disadvantages here include:

  2. no convenient place on the dash to mount the unit.
  3. have to take the unit with me to avoid it being stolen
  4. isn't "always there" in the car (i'll forget to bring it)
  5. display/interface is not meant for car use, therefore will be distracting.

So, does anyone have any advice on an option I may not have considered?

Thanks,

Josh

Reply to
Josh Brown

Option 2 is the only feasible one. Sorry there isn't a better answer.

Myles

Josh Brown wrote:

Reply to
msb