About Those Lexus Keys

My key for my wife's Lexus ('02 ES300) broke yesterday. The metal part broke away from the plastic. I could turn the metal part in the keyhole, the accessories came on, but it wouldn't start. Is there really some magic inside the plastic body required to start the engine? If there is, is it dependent on the battery? Being stuck due to a dead key battery isn't very nice.

Also, what is the "master" key referred to? A specific key or any key already programmed for the vehicle?

The pieces could be epoxied back together. Are there electrical connections inside that would interfere with this?

Thanks, Gary

Reply to
Gary Brown

Yep. It's a proximity sensor in the key head. It's a security issue--so that someone can't just quickly dupe your key and start your car.

On Honda it's not. I presume the same is true of Toyota.

Reply to
Elmo P. Shagnasty

Yes - a chip in the plastic part.

No.

The master key operates all the locks in the car. A sub or valet key operates the door and the ignition but not the trunk or glove box.

No.

The key probably broke because someone tried to force it with the steering wheel in the locked position. With the steering wheel in the locked position, the key will not turn in the ignition switch. When this happens, relieve the pressure on the steering wheel by turning it to the left or right a little bit, whichever way it will go, and then turn the key to unlock the steering wheel.

Reply to
Ray O

I have a 2003 ES300. I don't remember if it came with a valet key, but it did come with two keys that operate all the locks in the car, plus a "master key".

The dealer explained to me not to lose this "master key" as it contains the security key for the whole system and would be needed to cut a replacement key. Without it, the whole key system needs to be changed and that is a big expense.

Reply to
ixat

Give this company a call, they call help you out.

CFL

I've heard of a number of Lexus owners who have experienced 'key fatigue'. Lexus exclude the keys from all warranty cover and charge a fortune for replacements.Consequently there is a lively market in replacement keys - but still at a price.

I did write to Lexus UK to see if they would acknowledge that there was a problem and ask what they intended to do. I never did get a response. Perhaps they will claim that they never did receive my e-mail and then claim that they know nothing of the problem.

Chris - RX300 with 24k on the clock and two broken keys.

Reply to
Chris

My wife's 01 RX 300 key fell apart in her purse when the car was 2 years old -- 24k. I found out then that the key was not covered under warranty and cost over $200.00 to replace. The dealer did replace the key when I complained -- as a goodwill gesture. We no longer own the car, however.

Reply to
TWW

I have a friend who has a 99 ES300 that is blowing a fuse each time that he turns the ignition switch. Can anyone help?

Reply to
<terryasu

If it immediately blows a fuse, then the problem is probably a hot wire shorted to ground. Look for a chafed or cut wire in the wiring harness. If an audio system or other accessory was recently installed, start looking in those areas first.

Reply to
Ray O