AC Safety Problems

Driving in a rain storm - coolish outside. Heater goes on - sometime, I hope!!!!! Hmmmm ... maybe if I just turn the temp setting up and the vents down. DRAT ! Cool air out the vents and warm air out the floor vent. Well maybe if I just turn the ac off ... well finaly it starts to fee a little bit warm. OOPS !!!! Look at that! Have to manualy turn on the front and the rear defrosters - new experience for me with these luxury vehicles which normaly seem to take care of that sort of thing by themselves. Oh well ... the LS430 is supposed to be reliable.

Now the next day on the road again - no rain - warmer outside - auto thingy on. Getting warm gradualy and getting sleepy cause of the stuffy cabin. But with the air on - OOPS !!!!! Air is off from last night !!!!! Well fortunately the micro nap didn't kill us.

Sure am glad that I have such a safe vehicle - lots of engineering, but engineering for show, not go.

Reply to
mcbrue

You should leave the AC on during the rain to dehumidify the air blowing on the windshield. I leave the AC engaged all year and let the system engage the compressor as needed.

If you are cool, just turn up the temp and/or use the setting that splits between the floor and front defroster.

The system is automatic, but not so automatic that it knows that there is a need to defog the front or rear windows so yes, the driver has to think to push the appropriate button on the dash.

Reply to
Ray O

Well the whole point of owning a Luxury car is that you don't have to think! And I never .... er ... nevermind!

I thought the compressor should do it all by itself, but what I realy freaked on was the split between warm air down and cool air out through the dash vents! Is there maybe some sort of sensor switch or something that could be out to lunch or maybe out for a glass of warm sake?

Reply to
mcbrue

There is an interior temperature sensor for each temperature zone, e.g., driver and passenger, but AFAIK, there is no separate sensor for up and down. There is also a temperature sensor for exterior ambient temp, evaporator/heater core housing, and coolant temp and a solar sensor.

The compressor will automatically come on if the ambient temp is above 32 degrees Fahrenheit and if air is directed out of the defogger vents, but it should be blended with warm air. I don't have an answer to your question about why there is a temperature differential between the floor and dash vents, I would ask the dealer on your next service visit.

Reply to
Ray O