adding xenon lights to '98 es300?

I'm interested in adding those white 'xenon' lights to my '98 ES300, and on ebay I've seen those headlight bulbs for about $10. But I've also seen some 'Xenon kits' that are much more expensive ($180+). My question: Can I just add the $10 lightbulb or do I need to purchase the kit? Will the light look 'xenon' white with my current headlight cover? Thanks.

Reply to
VMI

If you are just looking to have the light from your headlights look whiter, then there are some replacement bulbs that will do the trick.

If you are looking for a true high intensity discharge (HID) lighting system, you will need to purchase a conversion kit.

Reply to
Ray O

I tried some of the cheap $10 bulbs off ebay. They LOOKED very high quality and worked ABSOLUTELY GREAT ... for about 3 months. I lost BOTH Hi-Beams at the same time (??) and lost one of the Lo-Beams by the next morning. I can't say why this happened, but it still takes more than a half hour for me to replace the bulbs. As I said, visually they looked well made ... maybe just defective?? I am still pondering whether to replace them. For now, I am back on the orignals that have last for YEARS.

Reply to
Jerohm

On Thu, 02 Nov 2006 22:52:46 GMT, "Jerohm" graced this newsgroup with:

we have an 00 ES300. I also ordered some of those "fake" Xenon headlights. They *sucked*. And contrary to popular belief. White light doesn't necessarily mean *bright* light, nor will you necessarily see further down the road.

However, I ordered a set of OSRAM 65W Ultra High Output H7 bulbs from Daniel Stern lighting:

I ordered a set about 2 years ago and they're still going strong and the difference between OEM and these OSRAM high outputs is *amazing*.

And, if you have tried the Silverstars and or other similar bulbs, you were ripped off. They suck as bad as the fake xenons off e-bay. I had a set and they lasted 13 months before they both flamed out. And during the time I had them, they threw off such little light I always had the urge to put on my high beams.

Anyway, he doesn't have a shopping cart. You need to email him and tell him what kind of car you have and what you're looking for. He's probably the most knowledgeable automotive lighting guy I've heard about on the net. He's well known in many automotive circles. Bulbs aren't cheap (I think I paid about $24 a bulb), but the difference in light quality and quantity is well worth it.

Check it out.

Reply to
amstaffs

On 3 Nov 2006 06:12:21 -0800, "VMI" graced this newsgroup with:

actually, I didn't recommend Xenon light bulbs. The bulbs I recommended are halogen, just brighter with a longer life.

The ONLY way you can get what you're looking for is to buy a complete HID swapout kit and replace your existing lighting system. HID kits are pricey but they're much cheaper than even 5 years ago. Probably because of the popularity of conversions but they're still not cheaper by any stretch.

I did a dogpile search and came up with several hits. Here's one:

I have absolutely no idea if they're any good or not but it gives you a basic idea of what's involved and how much it may cost.

Reply to
amstaffs