AFS Headlight Problem on 2006 GS300

2006 GS300 AWD: My AFS headlights do not swivel when turning. The dealer has looked at the problem, and run an "active test" and says everything is OK. But they do not swivel.

With every AFS-equipped Lexus I have been in, the swiveling was easy to see by turning into a driveway at night, and watching the headlight beam recenter as the vehicle was brought to a stop. My GS300 beams do not move!

The headlights are also aimed too low for safe highway driving at night (low beam). When projected on a wall, the beam cutoff is noticeably lower than on similar Lexus models. Again, the dealer says "everything OK -- there is no way to adjust".

Should I be looking elsewhere for continued warranty service? I am losing confidence in the dealer where I bought the car.

Reply to
Jay Somerset

Did you get the dealer's evaluation in writing on a repair order? If not, I would ask for a written evaluation and an explanation of the steps taken. If you are not satisfied, you can ask to meet the zone parts and service manager or take it to another dealer for a second opinion.

Reply to
Ray O

If there are other dealers in the area, you should consider changing. Check references first if possible. Dealer service departments' quality do vary. I'm surprised that they let you out without making the beams swivel like they were designed to do.

Reply to
johngdole

The "active test" was making the lights swivel by accessing the computer, with the vehicle stationary. I did not witness thios test.

I took the car back, and was later told that "the GS models do not swivel their lights the same way as ES and RX models". I havce driven both ES and RX vehicles, and their lights visibly swing when moving forward at walking speed. Mine do not.

Is it true that GS model AFS headlights work differently than other Lexus models? I find this somewhat illogical, but who knows.

Reply to
Jay Somerset

I am not familiar with how the GS AFS headlights work. I would ask the dealer to demonstrate how they are working properly. It is possible that they are working properly when the computer is accessed but not when the steering wheel is turned, so I think a demonstration is in order, either in your car or another AFS-equipped GS.

Reply to
Ray O

According to the owner's manual the lights swivel only at speeds of 6mph or higher. They are not the same as the ES.

Reply to
Carroll Boardway