air leaks from tires

I have a SC430 with BBS rims. Lately air has been leaking from all four tires. I asked the rim man and he suggested the pressure monitors in the stems may be worn out. He said they usually last 10 years at the most. He suggested to replace them rather than put in a rebuild kit. Any info from other owners?

Reply to
W. Wells

I think you should inflate the tires to the maximum indicated on the sidewalls and submerge them in water or spray with a dishwasher detergent and water mixture to find the source of the leaks. It is possible that the wheels are porous or that leaks have developed where the bead meets the rim.

Reply to
Ray O

how old are the tires?

Reply to
ACAR

Have the stems themselves ever been changed? They are unique to Lexus' with tire pressure monitors and are a separate part.

Reply to
greg

This is MY guess... 'cause I have been through this (they can be ground smooth again). I have the most problem with the pair mounted in the front, where all the weight is. Also 5/lb over recommended coupled with long trips > 500mi, seem to seal things up for a while.

Reply to
Jerohm

Normally 5 pounds over recommended is fine, but on the wide, low profile OE tires (Dunlops in Canada) this is too much, and you will find that the center of the tread will wear significantly faster than the outside. 10-15% less life on a ridiculously short tire life just adds insult to injury. :-)

Reply to
Jay Somerset

Ask the shop to put each in the tub they use to check for leaks. You should be able to tell exactly where it's leaking from.

Reply to
johngdole