Alignment or Balance? 2002 GS 300

Recently had tires rotated. Since this time when applying the brakes the steering wheel shakes a bit as the speed drops down to about 20-30mph. Tires have about 15K on them. Car has 89k. Brakes have 16K. Will a balance and or alignment cure this issue?

Thanks

Reply to
billyzoom

likely an alignment will help. Tire balance issues generally pop up the highway while cruising, but them balanced also since the tires were rotated. Each wheel likely had a different weight on it anyway, now that you have swapped their positions, the balance will be out of whack again.

But first, I would check your brakes for wear on the rotors or uneven wear on the pads.

Reply to
NYLexSC

An out-of-balance tire(s) (on front end) usually causes a vibration through the steering column when the car's speed exceeds, and stays above, 20-25 miles per hour. FYI: if a tire(s) is out of balance in the rear, the vibration is felt through the seat.

I used to sell tires 25 years ago so I don't think things have changed. Tires do wear down slightly differently on each wheel (barring, of course, a problem with that particular tire, wheel, or mechanical part on the car), so if I were you, I'd have the balancing checked first. When you pick up the car after that's done, road test it immediately (make sure to get the speed up over 25 miles per hour) and see if the vibration is gone; if it is, problem solved. If not, take it back immediately and tell the garage staff you want the front end checked.

Reply to
Mike Piacente

If the problem only persists when applying the brakes, your rotors may need some turning.

Reply to
Viperkiller

My guess is over torque of the wheels, have them retorqued correctly and give them a few days.

***************** Thank You snipped-for-privacy@msbx.net

To reply to this email please remove the AT after the kgs in the reply to address as shown above.

Reply to
KG