Automobile quality problems

Admittedly, all vehicles are subject to give trouble. Even certain vehicles made by Lexus, Infiniti and other makes that normally get superb quality ratings are subject to turn out bad. But it is really, really sad to hear about all of the problems that my co-workers are having with their vehicles made by BMW, Mercedes-Benz, GM and Ford in particular. I simply cannot begin to tell you how many horror stories that I have heard over the course of the last year from people that purchased a vehicle by one of these four manufacturers. It makes me feel good about the fact that I decided to purchase a Lexus this last go round. Simply because I haven't experienced any issues at all thus far.

Any of you guys out there have any quality stories that you would like to share? Regardless of make/model, I would be interested in getting some feedback on various makes that you all have had recent experiences with. Recent being 2001 through 2003 MY vehicles. This is your chance to sing your vehicles' praises or vent like mad on the manufacturers themselves. :-)

R.M.

Reply to
R.M.
2000 Yukon XL bought new in 2000 Problems: bad engine sensor caused check engine light to come one (replaced sensor under warranty), right side exterior mirror heater not working (replaced under warranty), right side exterior mirror cracked this winter - probably from heater element (not yet repaired), running light lamp burned out (replaced at my cost). That's it.

1992 Lexus LS400 bought by me used in 1993 Problems: failed drivers seat suspension at 2 years (repaired under warranty), noisy bushing at 2 years (repaired under warranty), rear-view mirror fogs on warm days (Lexus refused to repair it when it failed just out of extended warranty, still broken as I am not going to pay $600 for anew mirror), oxygen sensor went bad at around 6 years and I replaced it at my cost, HVAC control console started to fog around 6-7 years of age (I recently replaced it myself with a rebuilt unit for $300; I shudder to think what a new Lexus part would have cost), parking lamps were replaced at around 9 years of age (boy, do Lexus lamps ever last a long time), have gone through a couple of batteries (one Delco lasted over 6 years!), am on the third set of tires, new wiper blades every couple of years (ridiculously expensive, by the way). That's it.

I'd say the Lexus has been more reliable than the Yukon XL, but not overwhelmingly so. Of course, we have much more time with the Lexus and the Yukon XL may get worse with age.

So far, I am not disappointed with the Yukon, except for the rear view mirror cracking. Would not hesitate to buy Lexus or GM based on my limited sample set.

By the way, Buicks traditionally do extremely well in J.D. Power surveys. GM can and does make very reliable cars, just not all the time. They are getting to be very good, though. Chrysler and Ford are a different story, as are virtually all the European brands we get in the U.S.

Reply to
GRL

GRL,

Based on everything I have read, Buick indeed does really well in the J.D. Power surveys as of late. So does Lexus and Infiniti. They seem to run 1-2 in many surveys/polls on automobile quality/reliability.

Currently, my wife and I own one product each from Lexus, Nissan, Honda and Ford. They have all been really good cars overall. The 1990 Nissan 300ZX has been the most problematic of all the Asian cars that I have ever owned--and even it has been reliable. It's never left me stranded. The transmission still functions and the car runs great for a vehicle with 163,000 miles on it. It still looks nice too. I get a whole lot more compliments on the old

90' Z than I do the 2002 Lexus IS300. Here's a list of problems that I had with my 2002 Chevrolet TrailBlazer LTZ that I purchased new:

-Cam position phaser and actuator failed at 1,500 miles.

*The dealership's service dept. had to replace these components two times in order to get things right. Service Engine Soon light came on and stayed on due to this problem.

-Rear pinion seal was assembled in a pinched manner. This lead to a gear oil leak at 3,000 miles of operation.

*The second seal wasn't installed properly and I had to get a third one put in to ultimately rectify the problem.

-Excessive engine fan clutch noise lead to a computer re-programming procedure. The fan noise was reduced to some degree, but then the engine idle was hosed and the vehicle would die out at low speed idle in many instances!

-Rain sensor wipers would come on when the windshield was dry as a bone.

-Noisy relays produced clicking noises at various time intervals. Dealership never could track down the root cause of the problem and eliminate it. But I know it was due to noisy relays.

-Excessive wind noise when driving at highway speeds of 55-65 m.p.h. or greater.

-Suspension squeaks began at 5,000 miles of operation.

-Radio/Stereo system got extremely hot during road trips. The amount of heat that was generated was to the point of seeming dangerous to me.

-Rear door weather stripping came loose and feel off before the vehicle had

7,000 miles on it.

-Rear doors would produce thunderous noises when driving over railroad tracks, speed bumps and other moderate bumps in the road. GM admitted that there was a problem with the TrailBlazer, Envoy and Bravada SUVs in regards to this issue.

-Transmission began slipping at around 6,000 miles of operation.

-Transmission failed at 9,000 miles of operation and had to be replaced.

-Water leaked into the driver's side floorboard during heavy rainstorms.

-License plate housing produced oil canning noise during sun exposure. This was due to a plastic housing being force-fit into a slot/opening in a sheetmetal liftgate with no gasket/seal present in the assembly. The difference in the coefficient of friction for the plastic vs. metal components lead to an annoying sound at stoplights with the stereo turned off.

-Engine produced a knocking noise that made it sound like a diesel whenever it was first started up. GM stated that this was due to the "type of piston design coupled with the aluminum block's sleeved cylinders".

-Instrument panel cluster produced a grinding noise that sounded like plastic gears or something. Several TrailBlazer, Envoy and Bravada owners have experienced this and many of the other problems that I have listed above.

So, that was my latest GM/domestic experience. Had it not of been for the items that I listed above, I would have actually loved my GM SUV. ;-)

Thanks for the feedback GRL!

R.M.

experienced

Reply to
R.M.

Oops. Meant to say 'coefficient of thermal expansion' for the plastic vs. metal liftgate components.

R.M.

Reply to
R.M.
2002 ES300

Positive: Nice looking interior, comfortable

Negative: Worse than expected fuel economy, dangerous transmission/acceleration lag, interior door and piller rattles, passenger seat vibration, CD changer ate my CDs, wind noise

This was my first Lexus. I have no plans to buy a Lexus again after this ownership experience.

Reply to
Steve Larson

Previously in alt.autos.lexus, "Steve Larson" proclaimed :

2000 ES300. 22mpg avg, transmission shifts smoothly, no rattles, seats are fine and the CD has been flawless.

This is my first Lexus. I plan on buying the LS430 next.

*just to give another perspective*

People are more violently opposed to fur than leather because it's safer to harass rich women than motorcycle gangs.

-Unknown

Remove "die spammers" to email

Reply to
wideglide01diespammers

It's widely known that Lexus horsed up the ECU in the 2002 ES, and have made no effort to fix the performance problems. I would strongly suggest you spend a good amount of time test driving any Lexus you plan to purchase in the future. If you lived with the newer version of the ES, there is a chance you would have a different perspective than with your 2000.

Reply to
Steve Larson

Previously in alt.autos.lexus, "Steve Larson" proclaimed :

point well taken. We were given a loaner '03 ES330 and didn't really care for it. Not so much that it didn't ride well and all but we felt the interior felt "cramped" in comparison to the '00. Also we felt that the road noise transmitted through the door seals. Additionally, I really prefer the '00 body style to the more "Camry-like" body style of the '03.

I *do* like the LS400 as I've driven several. Maybe I should consider getting a certified 400 over a 430.

People are more violently opposed to fur than leather because it's safer to harass rich women than motorcycle gangs.

-Unknown

Remove "die spammers" to email

Reply to
wideglide01diespammers

Whichever the case, make sure you spend a good amount of time in your next purchase prior to signing. You may be perfectly happy with it as is, but there are some drivers who have had performance issues with the newer Lexus lines, and specifically with the recent ES series.

Reply to
Steve Larson

GM has really screwed up on the Trailblazer family. They looked to be vast improvements on the Blazer family, with that sweet 6 and better size, but the quality gremlins are pretty bad.

Where are they made? My Yukon XL was made in Mexico and it's been pretty good.

Reply to
GRL

You are exactly right GRL. In fact, CNN just reported last Thursday that the TrailBlazer, Envoy and Bravada are being recalled for failing to comply with Federal safety regulations.

Oklahoma from what I understand.

My Yukon XL was made in Mexico and it's been pretty

(ridiculously

Reply to
R.M.