Bad battery or something worse?

For the past 7-10 days, my 1999 LS400 has had a bit of a problem starting. When I turn the key, the lights (instrument panel and headlights) come on, but nothing happens. If I turn the key off and back on, it will usually start within 1-3 tries.

At first, I thought it might be an electrical or electronic problem, but I am starting to think that it might be the battery. I noticed that the problem is worse the first time I start it each day. After driving it even a little distance (few miles), it usually starts on the first try. Yesterday and today, I 2-3 times without success. I then turned the headlights off (they are usually left in the auto setting), and it started right up.

And the problem seems to be getting worse the past day or so.

All this seems to indicate a weak battery. Is that reasonable?

About 6 months ago, a door was left ajar, which laft an interior light on for 12-15 hours, maybe more. When I tried to start it, it was completely dead. AAA jumped it. I asked them to test the battery. They said it was not 100%, but difficult to test until fully recharged.

When I took it in for regular service about 2 months ago, I asked them to test the battery. They said it was OK.

Before I take it in for service, I would like to know what you all think the problem might be and, more importantly, what it cannot be.

Thanks

Reply to
Catch 23

If your battery is close to or more than two years old, REPLACE IT.

Reply to
Gary L. Burnore

I am new to this group as I just inherited a '93 GS300 with 85,000 miles.

Rich

Reply to
<z

Why should you have to change a battery every two years? That is maybe valid for junk batteries. What kind of battery do you put in your LS430 or 460 so it gets normal life of 6 to 10 years? And why would you ever need to replace battery cables? The normaly are made of metal and large enough that they offer minimal resistance even if the outer shell gets rusted.

Reply to
mcbrue

With as little as they cost compared to what happens when they croak in the middle of nowhere, it's worth it.

10 years? Bull.

With premium sound systems, sat navigation, and other goodies, batteries take a beating when the car ISN'T running. A few cold winters wear them down too. It's just not worth the trouble of having one die.

Good question. Ends, I could see. Perhaps he refers to the connections on the block or starter end.

Corroded. Not rusted.

Reply to
Gary L. Burnore