Can any lexus models use 10% ethanol?

Some stations here sell gasohol which has 90% gas and 10%ethanol. It seems to come in the same octane rating as gas with no ethanol.

Reply to
mcbrue

You can use up to 10% ethanol without any problems.

Reply to
Ray O

I'm not sure about this but from what someone told me, the ethanol actually helps get rid of any moisture in the system (mainly the fuel tank of course) as it is an alcoholic liquid. Makes sense to me though I haven't verified it myself.

Reply to
Viperkiller

THIS IS THE PROBLEM: "Gas is simply MUCH better (and STILL cheaper) than ethanol. At 18,700 BTU (British Thermal Unit) per pound, gasoline vastly outperforms ethanol - the president's stated alternative - at just 11,500 BTU/lb. That means a gallon of gas goes farther, cheaper". Not that I am NOT ALL FOR increasing the efficiency of ALL devices.

Reply to
Jerohm

Efficiency smiefficiency ... if I go out and buy one of those new $120,000 LS460L cars, will I harm the engine, the tank, the little cheap plastic or rubber hoses or parts, or anything else in it? Sure it is less efficient, but under Bush we are lucky to have anything left at all. So I anticipate that all of us will have to be using some kind of gashol mixture before he gets out of office. And what I want to know is

- will it harm the car in any way? If so, maybe I should just buy a new dodge neon or two till we recover.

Reply to
mcbrue

No, methanol is what you need to stay away from...

Reply to
Jerohm

The problem is that you speak only half truths.

Ethanol is subsidize at a rate of 51 cents a gallon via tax brakes to the producers.

The oxygenate Ethanol is not replacing gasoline. It is replacing the oxygenate Methyl tert-butyl ether, or MTBE for short. MTBE, which is a carcinogen, has been found in high qualities in ground water in some areas. Shrub, spit, really has little to do with it. He and the oil companies are not happy about the situation because MTBE is refined from petroleum and Ethanol is from agriculture. Here in the US corn is the main source. In Brazil, which has used a 85% Ethanol 15% Gasoline blend for decades, known as E85, they use sugarcane to produce the Ethanol. It is the EPA under mandates set in the Clean Air Act Amendments of 1990 and the states that are forcing the change.

Ethanol, in a 10% blend with gasoline has been sold as gasohol in the midwest since the 1990s with no ill effects. But the oil companies would like you to believe that your car will fall apart if you use it.

There are problems with Ethanol to be sure but they are not one of cost or damage to ones car.

Reply to
Garry Owen

no half truths whatsoever... whether it is 10% or 85%, a gallon of ethanol blended fuel has less potential BTUs available than other formulations ... you WILL get LESS MPG ... period... unless they release that perpetual motion engine they are keeping so quietly under raps ;^)

Engine efficiency should have been the highest priority YEARS ago ... instead after Kuwait, the American automobile industry decided the capitalize on abundant cheap fuel and release the SUV (true genius!) ... because after all, every American really deserves to feel they are King of the Road ...don't they?? When did frugality, living within one's means, and common sense become such foreign concepts??

... and you are correct, ethanol has been available for years, WITHOUT long term determent to vehicles ... and I never stated or implied anything differently.

Reply to
Jerohm

Isn't there evidence that it costs more energy to produce ethanol than it yields in an automobile?

Reply to
Jerry Huffman

no, but it's close, with the hit on milage you take from using ethanol, the difficulty transporting it to the major population centers of the coasts, the use of corn based ethanol isn't the best alternative.

WARNING: NEVER USE 1800FLOWERS.COM They can't deliver as promised

Reply to
jdoe