Car noise varies in turns

Dear Experts,

Car: 97 Camry. 105K miles.

I've had a noise in my car for at least six months. I'm still trying to figure out the noise in my car.

The noise in my car is related to speed. It is not related to torque, or power. Meaning that the noise does not go up or down according to how much gas I give the car. The noise occurs mostly during constant cruising speed, or while coasting.

You might think that the wheels were out of true. Except that the steering wheel does not vibrate. So, it's not the wheels.

I've noticed something interesting lately. When I'm doing normal speed, and the road curves, the sound varies from side to side. If I bank to the right, I hear the noise. If I bank to the left, I don't hear the noise.

Any ideas?

Thanks

(At groups.google.com, you can see different postings about the same question: Camry, Differential, and Transmission fluid Strange, faint noise in Camry How long do CV joints last in Camrys?)

Reply to
Roger Redford

Is it a soft drumming sound? If so its the CV on one or both sides. Knackered wheel bearings can make a noise as they experience more load, as in cornering.

Jason

Reply to
Jason James

you may like to get someone else to drive and you passenger, so you can confirm it's not just your position in the car making you think it's a side biased problem... and just because you don't feel any shudder doesn't mean it's not related to the tyres.

Charlie

Reply to
Charlie

Reply to
My Name

Wheel bearings.

Reply to
Steve

Thanks!

You say that it ended up being the right rear bearing. When you turned, which direction gave you more noise? Left or right?

I'll bet the owner will be really disappointed if the last bearing goes, and he has to replace that one too.

Reply to
Roger Redford

Well, here is the result.

The symptom was that when I banked to the right, I would hear the noise, but much less so, when I banked to the left.

The dealer looked at it, and changed the right front wheel bearing. However, there was still some noise. Although, it was less than before.

They said it was the tires. I didn't believe this at first. They took another set of tires and installed them. No more noise.

So, I asked them to switch the tires from side to side. Now, the noise occurs when I bank the other way, to the left.

Question: Do you think that the bad wheel bearing might have helped cause the problem in the first place? Will it go away over time?

Thanks

Reply to
Roger Redford