Check engine light

2006 LX-470. Check engine light as well as the VSC lights have come on. Tried to read the code with a friends scanner, but it only gives an ERR message. I thought all OBDC II cars were supposed to be able to be read?? Is this something only a dealer can get?
Reply to
Edgar

On Tue, 7 Aug 2007 17:20:33 -0500, "Edgar" graced this newsgroup with:

yes, take it to a dealer. Could be your mass airflow sensor.

Reply to
Max

The scanners have different chips that you install to read various car types. If his scanner is set up to read a Buick, it won't read your Studebaker.

Larry In the back yard, under the oak.

Reply to
Larry

Under the OBD II system, there are SAE standard diagnostic trouble codes ("DTC") and there are also DTC's that are specific to manufacturers. If you got an error message from the code scanner, then the scanner does not have the ability to read manufacturer-specific codes, one of the features you get when you spend more money on a scanner. The other possibility is that there is a problem with the vehicle computer (very unlikely) or the code scanner.

Since your vehicle is likely to still be under warranty, I recommend that you let the dealer scan the codes and perform any repairs, if necessary.

Reply to
Ray O

Thanks, but it is not under warranty...almost 60000 miles on it now.

I did some more research and wonder if it is a CAN bus issue and the scanner did not have that capability in it?? The scanner was about 2 years old that I tried, and I don't think that it does CAN.

Reply to
Edgar

It is possible that the problem is a CAN issue. Take it to a place that lets you borrow the scan tool and post the codes.

Reply to
Ray O

I did one better..I got a new scanner that does CAN OBD II. It was a very small evap. leak..P0456 if I remember correctly. Reset it and all is well so far. I suspect the gas cap is faulty as it does not operate as smoothly as my other Lexus ones do. I will check that out some more and maybe get a new one to try.

The other scanner I tried did NOT do CAN, so that is why it did not work. The new one is pretty neat and does lots more than I will probably need, but it was not that much more and I figured that if it saves me one trip to the dealer it is worth it.

Thanks for the help.

Reply to
Edgar

SNIP

SNIP

Just out of interest, how much did the scanner cost and what make is it?

TIA

Liam

Telephoneman

Innova 3130. Cost $199.00 at Checker Auto.

Reply to
Edgar

Reply to
Graybeard

If won't heat you up, Stud. If you truly have a Greybeard, then you should be old enough to know what it is.