Cleaning leather steering wheel

My steering wheel (leather covered, '95 GS300) is sticky. I am afraid it is because the leather conditioner I tried to apply, but am not totally sure. What is best used to clean (and possibly condition) the wheel?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Reply to
John Smith

You can try Lexol leather cleaner, saddle soap, or Simple Green.

Reply to
Ray O

I'll second the Lexol Leather Cleaner suggestion. And I always follow up with an application of Lexol Leather Conditioner as well. These two products used in conjunction with each can keep leather steering wheels, seats, armrests, etc. looking really nice.

Ron M.

Reply to
Ron M.

Lexus steering wheels are notorious for sucking, my 1994 SC300 had the same problem.

if you want to avoid the whole mess and spend $50, check out

They do great work, and thats the route I'm going with my car.

As a note, I had the same thing as you and tried LExol leather cleaner and all it did was PEEL the leather MORE. This is becuase our steering wheels suck lol. So then I went to pep boys and applied the $10 cover as a temporary fix until I can ship my wheel to wheelskins.

Reply to
NYLexSC

All manufacturers leather steering wheels will accumulate dirt and get sticky after a while. Its the nature of the beast.

Reply to
Robert

As previously stated, I've had excellent luck with Lexol leather cleaner and conditioner in regards to cleaning and conditioning my 2002 IS300's steering wheel. But I agree that my Lexus' leather steering wheel most likely won't even hold up as good as my 1990 Nissan 300ZX's has after almost 17 years now. Currently, it still looks almost brand new. I can tell, however, that the quality of leather isn't all that great considering the fact that it's on an entry-level luxury sports sedan. I expected better. But overall the car has treated me great thus far!

Ron M.

Reply to
Ron M.

Thanks for pointing me to Lexol.

Since buying it, I've gone throughout my home Lexol-ing everything and anything leather.

Some questions prompted me to phone their 800 number where I spoke with a very knowledgeable fellow well versed in the chemistry of leather.

In the course of our conversation he volunteered that leather steering wheel covers should be wiped regulary with a damp cloth, say each time the car is washed.

Routine wiping, he expained, controls accumulation of acrid, salty perspiration from constant handling.

Safe driv>

Reply to
Charles Brand

I agree with Charles.

I have a bottle of anti-bacteria wipes in my car, and every time when I use it, I apply to my leather steering wheel ('97 SC400) as well. The steering wheel is in excellent condition, and not sticky at all.

V.

Charles Brand wrote:

Reply to
Vinny

I had a MB for 30 years with leather steering wheel and wiped it probably 10 times and it held up great. But MB has great leather. I had a Jaguar and the leather cracked all over even when I put their recommended leather cream on it.

Reply to
W. Wells