Clicking noise from the front break area in my 2000LS400.

Dear Netters,

I wish to hear from LS owners to see if this is normal. This symptom happened after cold start, backed off through the drive way, and went forward. When I reach the stop sign, step on the break, I heard a "click" noise from the front break area. The noise can be repeatly generated after the car parked for say 30 minuties.

The dealership indicated that this is normal and is caused by the break shoe metals moving backward and forward in the break frame that generates the noise. The dealership said that this noise can be eliminated after proper lubrication.

My questions are:

  1. The metal pads are supposed to be sit in the break frames firmly. There should not be room for free play to generate such a noise. How could the noise be generated from the pad?
  2. Sometimes, I heard the noise that was not from the the pad. Where else could it be?
  3. The dealership said that it needed "lubrication" to eliminate this noise. I checked the brake assembly thoroughly and did not see any place that needed to be lubricated. Did I miss any thing?

Thank you for your answers and feedback.

JJ

Reply to
JJ HO

I have a 2001 ES300 and the same thing happens when I am backing up. The dealership said it is the ABS brake system adjusting. I concurred that with other owners.

Reply to
SignatureMan

When you step on the brake the piston pushes the inner pad to the disc which in turn draws the whole caliper frame (outer pad) into contact with outside of rotor. The caliper assembly slides on pins. If you look at the assembly you will see the dust boots that protect these "slide pins". The slide pins need to be lubricated. There are bushings on these slides...make sure they stay in place. Be sure to use a wrench to keep the boots from rotating...you will see the spot to use a wrench so you can remove the pin without twisting the whole assembly.

Don't use regulare chassis grease. I believe the manual recommends a Lithium soap based grease. Go to the auto parts store and get a quality brake lube for this purpose. If the pins are difficult to remove and/or you are experiencing uneven pad wear, buy new pins and bushings before you go any further.

The clicking is probably the caliper frame jumping inward when you apply pressure with the brake. It hangs up when the lube dries up.

Reply to
B.Burns

see the picture

wearof the pin will cause the caliper housing to vibrate and clicks whenbraking. To check if that is causing your problem, open your tire then by hand shake the caliper housing, you should feel some extra clearance.

Reply to
Iantos