cost of instrument cluster lights

All,

I am currently considering a '94 lexus ES300 with 101k miles on it. It doesn't seem to have any real issues on first blush, except that the instrument cluster lights are starting to die out. I visited my local lexus dealer and they told me that ballpark it would be between 1000 and 1500 to fix it. Is this a reasonable cost, can it only be done by the dealer, and is it a reasonable bargaining chip when dealing with the used car dealer? the dealer wants around 7k for the car.

Reply to
goop

Replacing the general illumination bulbs is usually cheaper than this, but if the "needle pointers" go out, the cluster has to be replaced and this cost is not out of line. Independent shops can certainly make these repairs at somewhat cheaper cost, but I'd be sure the shop has experience in this specific make/model - this is not a repair to let Elmer hack away at down at the corner filling station.

This is a common problem and there are a lot of solutions floating around on the net, such as:

$65548640 Some time spent with a search engine and on various Lexus forums will turn up more options.

To be on the safe side, I'd assume $1500 with respect to your negotiations. If you buy the car and find a cheaper solution, it will be gravy.

- Mark

Reply to
markjen

Make a repair a condition of sale and maybe let the final price edge up $750 or so. Basically, you want this repair done at cost.

Otherwise, walk.

Reply to
GRL

Previously in alt.autos.lexus, "markjen" proclaimed :

out of curiosity, would something like this be covered under a Certified Used Lexus warranty?

------------------------------------------------------------------- People are more violently opposed to fur than leather because it's safer to harass rich women than motorcycle gangs.

-Unknown Remove "die spammers" to email

Reply to
wideglide01

Good question. It would think so if (BIG IF) there is not an exclusion for "bulbs and lamps". Somewhere here probably has the coverage and can answer this.

- Mark

Reply to
markjen