Diag. Code 25 91 LS400

OK...This seems to be that ONE code on every vehicle that should simply say; "Something isn't doing what its supposed to, check EVERYTHING"

Light has been on for a few months...between my ongoing feud with the dealer, lack of manuals, and nobody wanting to service the vehicle, it remained bright...until I replaced the rear brakes. I did the whole shot...rotors, calipers, shoes, springs and pads. I reset the ECU for kicks and.....no more light. It's omnly been a week, but I'm excited.

The Big question... What is the correlation?

Your thoughts?

Brian

Reply to
B.Burns

You don't say what state you are in....but code 25 is for unusually lean conditions.

That usually indicates a cloged injector on the series I engine. I would run a bottle of cleaner through the tank (worked for me when I got that code on a trip).

Did you blink out the code on the dash? or is that what the dealer said?

I ask because, I have found way to many stories (here and with lexus owners I know) that the dealer says the ECU code is a oxygen sensor related repair (a nice and easy $300 repair).

For example the traction control light never has a code for the O2 sensor (most cases it needs the DOT3 brake fluid drained) yet when the light is on the dealer always goes for the O2 replacement.

rd

Reply to
Nospam

cleaner a few days ago. I just went through the tank yesterday and...bad news. Light is back on today. From what I read, this code doesn't trigger the light on first occurrence, if it happens again on a different ignition cycle...then it trips the S.E.S. light. It's driving me nuts because the car seems to be running very well. I'm using premium fuel, always have. The light stayed off for 6 days. It seems to me if I had a manifold leak, it would be LEAN as hell on successive ignition cycles, not after 20. I am developing a starter problem now. It is staying engaged for a second or two after startup. Not that I'm happy about it, but that will get me into the intake manifold where I can thoroughly check for leakage and pop the injectors for inspection.

Thanks for the reply. If you hear anything else regarding this damn code, please let me know!

Brian (Deeetroit, Michigan. Yep...Lexus in the Motor City, What can I say?)

Reply to
B.Burns

See I had that with the track light...kept fixing things...light would go out (as if by magic) for awhile and then come back on (kept scratching my head!).

I have never seen one suck air at the manifold.....but I have seen that piece on the engine side of the throttle body be loose or crack ( and one of the zillion vacuumed hoses ).

I think once we had a '25 from a water logged fuel filter.

If an O2 sensor was off you would blink out a second code.

A starter sticking in this kind of weather is not odd for Toyota(denso)...it tends to go away when the grease gets warm enough to dry out (if not garaged a hair dryer will work!).

The first series LS400 is in fact a very well built machine (the best Toyota could do)....you could probably put a piece of tape over the light (it is up under the rim of the cluster (reflected down)) and run the car forever without a problem!...but like me you just want to fix the issue.

It has a limited ecu, but running it with overdrive off or in 2 so the revs get up will clean out the valves as well as the buffered memory in the ecu. (works much better on series II).

HTH,

cheers,

rd

Reply to
Nospam

I'd put money it's an o2 sensor. Your sensors have over 10 yers of mileage on them, they problably need to be changed. I can also tell you this because I had the exact same issue on m 93. If I jumped into the car and got onto the highway, the trac light would illuminate as well as the check engine. If I let the car heat for an hour, no problem. The o2 sensor is heated and was malfunctioning.

I'll see if I can track down the test procedure for the o2 sensors.

Joe

Reply to
moe

document attached

Reply to
moe

Thank you very much! One thing I just thought of; I have been assuming that the Service Engine light problem is the reason for the Traction Control shutdown. The TRAC light comes on at the same time as the Engine light. That only seems logical to me. You don't suppose the TRAC could be tripping the engine light?

I had read a reply from RD that a TRAC light could possibly need a fluid change. I dunno. I'm pretty sure the TRAC is disabled because the ECU has determined the engine isn't 100% functional.

I'll assume (I know...assume) that it's possible to get the "vague 25" code for a bad O2 instead of a specific O2 code? I would have figured that I would get a second code indicating O2. There I go, thinkin again!

Thanks a lot for the O2 flow sheet. I appreciate you taking the time.

Brian

Reply to
B.Burns

By the way, please do let us know what it was!

Joe

Reply to
joe

BUT, yesterday it did something specific. I nailed it from a dead stop (strictly for diagnosis) and the light popped instantly. I'm thinking fuel deprivation. Fuel filter or pump pressure are top of list. Injector prob is still a possibility. Will advise.

Brian

Reply to
B.Burns