Diminished Value??

I didn't know you could collect for the reduced market value of your car after an accident repair, but the articles at

say you can. I know most people will not buy a car with a bad Carfax unless it's offered at a big discount. Anyone else know about this stuff?

Reply to
A Reader

I had a wreck (single car, my fault) in a 1995 SC400 which caused $8000 in damage. After having it repaired I took it to a DV expert who found several problems with the repair. After much haggling with the insurance company, I got a diminished value settlement for $1200. The body shop also "repaired" their repairs. The DV expert says I should have gotten $4000 (this was before I settled). However, he wanted me to go to court and not deal with the insurance company at all. I would have had to pay him $1000 for his expert testimony and at least a couple of thousand for a lawyer and court costs. As it turned out, I probably did just as good hassling with the insurance company myself without taking a chance on losing in court and being out the money. It was a major hassle dealing with the insurance company though. In the beginning they would not admit that there was even such a thing as diminished value. I spent about three months negotiating with the insurance company.

Good luck!!

David

Reply to
David