Direct tap into 1992 ES300 stereo

Hi.

I have a 1992 ES300 with what I think is a great (stock) sound system. This is the 6 CD changer, in the trunk :-( however, the cassette deck, AM/FM, and great speakers.

Does anyone know an easy way to feed a signal into the amp?

What I want it for is to connect an external audio device.

Before they're suggested: I'm not interested in a cassette adapter (already have one) or FM transmitter (requires power).

What I'd like to end up with is a discreet miniplug under the dash. I realize if this is possible it would have to be selectable by one of the available sources - AM, FM, CD, cassette. Cassette would be the best since it would allow me to still use the cassette deck when necessary.

RR

Reply to
RR

I run my 10 ngig MP3 player through my 96 ES tape player using a $20 Sony interface. While not quite as good as CDs, the MP3 sounds as good as the FM radio.

I tried 2 RF devices; they both sucked. I was really glad to see how good the Sony tape interface sounded.

Reply to
TANKIE

I don't know anyone that makes a pre-1998 aux-in adapter for the ES300. AutoToys sells an adapter for later models, but that won't do for your application.

Maybe you can find a wiring diagram and find out which of the lines from the remote CD changer are 'near' line-level outputs, and insert an aux-input switch (and buffer amp(s), if need be) there. In 1992 I would expect all the circuitry to be analog so this shouldn't be too much trouble..

Reply to
Travis Jordan

Thanks, but since I keep CDs in the CD changer, I don't think that's an option. A CD will start playing as soon as I select the CD source. Same goes for AM and FM. I suppose I could tune to a non-existent FM station, but I'm still not sure the interference wouldn't be too much.

That's why I think the cassette deck is the only option.

Reply to
RR

You'd need to interrupt the circuit that enables the CD changer to prevent this from happening. However, it sounds like this amount of technical effort is beyond your skills, so that leaves the cassette deck (tape head) adapter as the best solution for your situation.

Reply to
Travis Jordan

Lexus has successfully pissed off a lot of customers through the years with their attitude toward =NOT= embracing *any* aftermarket audio products. With their proprietary connectors and almost complete absence of adequate wiring diagrams, the mfr seems more concerned (practically to the point of it being a fetish) with maintaining the complete integrity of the cabin than with pleasing customers with special wants or needs.

My own first "unplesant" encounter was with the Lexus-proprietary cellular phone, circa 1996. In 2001 my handset died. Since it was a Motorola, I took it in to a Motorola cellular service center. The tech checked it out and told me the problem was a bad "gizmo" (I forget now the purpose or name of the actual chip that had failed). He said it'd need to be sent in to their repair depot, minimum charge $75. Fine I said, let's get it fixed, and left it with them. When I pulled into the driveway my wife came out to meet me and said that the cellular repair center had just called and said to come back and get the phone because it was not repairable. When I spoke to the tech I was told that the specific chip that had failed contained some "Lexus proprietary" computer code and so could not be repaired.

So next I checked with the Lexus dealership. No, they couldn't get it fixed either, although they -did- offer to sell me a new handset for somewhere around $400 or so... No, let's not do that.

Then a friend gave me an old Motorola flip ph>RR wrote:

Reply to
New Owner