DIY timing belt replacement?

I replaced a timing belt on an '85 Nissan Maxima with a transverse v-6. It was a tight fit, and a tough job. Car ran perfect afterwards, no problems. How difficult would it be for a DIY timing belt replacement on a 1st gen LS400? Anybody ever done one?

Reply to
MCAS NV

I have been wondering the same thing. Looking through the manual it looks like it's a bit involved. Manuals can make something simple look miserable on occasion. I'm gonna do it myself...but I have the manual. I would highly suggest maybe trying to get one or at least the section for the belt. Mine is WAY overdue...although I have heard they're pretty tough belts.

Brian

Reply to
B.Burns

If you're going to go through all the tedium to do the belt, for goodness sake while you have it that far torn down, be sure to replace the water pump, thermostat and hoses. It would also be real easy at that point of disassembly to replace the serpentine belt tensioner at the same time. If there's a front seal that's accessible, I'd replace it too.

Be sure to go back >

Reply to
New Owner