Do You Wax Your Lexus?

I bought a '06 ES330 (primarily for my wife) one year ago. Today I realized that I hadn't waxed the car ever since I bought it. In fact, I haven't adequately washed it since Day 1. I occasionally clean the exterior with a damp rag. I'm just curious about whether many Lexus owners regularly wax or thoroughly clean their cars.

Reply to
Fidelis K

On Jan 26, 12:17 am, "Fidelis K" wrote: I have no idea if Lexus paint is any different than other car enamels, so I can only reply that I do wax my GS300 once a year. On another note, I have been applying Rain-X to my windshield and found that I can drive at high speed without using my wipers, provided it is not pouring, just drizzling.... Also Rain-X makes my wipers work smoother. Now another question is, what if I applied Rain-X instead of wax to my Lexus, would it self wash during a heavy rain?

I once experimented something I know now is forbidden, I lived in Germany and had to drive my Mercedes on the Autobahn at night for about

40 miles. It was pouring rain, and I took an umbrella, a sponge and an almost empty bottle of dishwashing liquid. Put a little water in the bottle and sprayed the dishwashing liquid on my sponge then wiped the entire car. I did get a little wet to be sure, but the next morning to my surprise, my filthy car was shining like a showroom piece...Here I think Mercedes used extremely good paint and several coats of it, because even nick and scratches did not reveal underpaint. Just thought I would pass this on........
Reply to
kitzler

Why is it forbidden.

Bad for the car? Environment?

Reply to
The Visitor

I wash my 2002 ES 300 every 4-6 weeks. I wax the car twice a year using One Grand Blitz wax.

Alan

Reply to
AlanW

You have to get it serviced every 5000 miles. The stealership will wash it and vacuum it for you during the service. They don't wax it so why should you?

Reply to
mcbrue

Reply to
CFL

Aren't you afraid of wearing out the paint with all that washing and waxing? Modern paint does not need to be washed more often than every

4 or 5 years, and to save fuel costs by saving weight, they are putting on thinner coats of paint.
Reply to
mcbrue

First the car looked like hell, all covered with white foam, of course it was at night, so I did not care. Surprisingly the foam stayed on the car for most of the ride, even though it was pouring rain. When I returned there was no foam left, just a clean car, now to answer your question, it is against the law in Germany to drive like that, and I surmise the same thing in the States, just don't want to be pulled over by a trooper looking for an a--hole to be ticketed.......

Reply to
kitzler

On 27 Jan 2007 10:18:24 -0800, "mcbrue" graced this newsgroup with:

hogwash. Tell me what's so different about water based modern paint that allows no protection for 4 to 5 years. They're not "putting it on thinner", it's a different chemical makeup than older laquer based paints. It's water based to be EPA friendly.

Clearcoat finishes require regular cleaning. Salt, dirt and acid rain will eat away modern paint even faster than laquer based paints of older cars. Clear coat finishes simulates glass over a base coat. If you don't keep the clear coat clean and protected, it'll etch, just like glass and your car's finish will look like hell.

There's absolutely no way I'd drive around with the salt that's covered my car from the recently salted roads for 4 or 5 years.

Washing and waxing won't wear out the paint anymore than than rain will wash the paint away. Gawd almighty you can't possibly be this stupid naturally.

Reply to
Max

welll gollllly! ahm so stupid ah lives whar ah caint even find no salt on tha car frum tha roads cause it dont git that cold hear whut makes em put salt on them ole roads!

hum de hum - walking off - thinking of the story of the funny farm inmates asking the farmer what he is going to do with the load of manure and he says he is going to put it on his strawberries. They scratch their heads and wonder why they are inside cause they don't put manure on their strawberries! Salt on the roads indeed!

Reply to
mcbrue

The Georgia D.O.T. definitely does de-ice roads. It's not NaCl, but it's still corrosive.

Reply to
St. John Smythe

What the hell is SALT ? I live in California and we don't have any salt or body rust.!!!! I never wax my car and have it washed from time to time.

Reply to
Neal Hudson

On Wed, 31 Jan 2007 01:24:40 GMT, "Neal Hudson" graced this newsgroup with:

what the hell are mudslides? What the hell are earthquakes? What the hell is acid rain?

Reply to
Max

Reply to
W. Wells

Don't know about mudslides or acid rain. Earthquakes damage only a small physical area. Screw up utilities for bigger areas. Don't get an ulcer worrying about an earthquake coming as you might with a tornado or heavy storm alert. What ever those might be :-) If I had the time to worry then I guess I could be waxing my car instead of enjoying the beach, etc.

Reply to
Neal Hudson

On Wed, 31 Jan 2007 22:39:37 GMT, "Neal Hudson" graced this newsgroup with:

Tornado? I consider a "heavy storm alert" an indication that we have rain, which I prefer over droughts. :-)

I lived in California, many of my family members still live there. No thanks...beautiful weather most of the year, but some of the strangest people on the planet.

Reply to
Max

So what do you think those strange people in Ca put on their strawberries?

Reply to
mcbrue

I own a 2003 ES 300 I hand wash It twice a week and clay bar twice a year wax 4 times a year. You just gotta keep em clean Also Clean and dress the leather once a month. I live in the Northeast and dont drive it much in the winter. Hope it helps.. this is a link How to clay bar

Bee

Why?

Especially when you're just going to turn it in after 3 years and get another one.

You have OCD.

Reply to
Elmo P. Shagnasty

On Sat, 03 Feb 2007 19:19:20 -0500, "Elmo P. Shagnasty" graced this newsgroup with:

not all of us lease.

Reply to
Max