Does anyone know a good Toyota/Lexus import forum?

I have a 1991 Toyota Celsior UCF11 in the UK. I have the familar problem of the aircon/venilation fan is blowing properly but little to nothing comes out of the vent.

I was told to replace or remove the aircon filter. But the LS400 wasn't fitted with one until 1993, and while I have been given instructions on how to replace the jap spec celior ones, I can't find it in my car.

Instructions I have seen suggest, on early models, the filter is behind the knee bolster under the glove box, extracted from below by removing two wingnuts, while later models are accessed from the glove box through small hatch. I can't find either ways to access the filter. There must be one as it is blocking the flow of air from the vents almost totally, despite the fan speed/noise increasing.

Reply to
Elder

I don't think that there is a cabin air filter. Make sure the fresh air inlet in the cowl is not blocked, and make sure no rodents have made a nest in the fan housing.

Reply to
Ray O

Daft as it sounds, neither did I. Except I found one. Instead of two wingnuts, I needed to remove 5 8mm bolts. And instead of two small filters side by side, that fold once, I had one Denso filter with a double fold.

I removed it and suddenly got very good airflow. Imagine a solid sheet of dirt/dust/fluff and hair and trying to breathe through it. I've cleaned it but I'm running filterless at the moment.

Reply to
Elder

Thanks for sharing your good results!

Reply to
Ray O

No problem.

I haven't found a decent Denso part number source online, but

the bottom of the white box in the right hand corner.The filter runs vertically up into the box.That lip you can see if the piece that comes off. It runs all the back under the dash. The part number is Denso 014520-0050

Reply to
Elder