E-shift behavior with '02 IS300

Why is it that whenever you put an IS300 in 'M' mode for manually shifting gears with the E-shift models, they only gear down to '2'? Also, I've noticed that on extremely cold mornings, mine will only gear down to '3'. After the vehicle has been driven for a while and gets warmed really well, it will indeed shift all of the way down to '2'. Why don't they shift down to '1' on the instrument panel gear display? Anyone inquired about this with Lexus service reps/techs?

Reply to
J. Perry

I have a 2002 IS300 E-shift as well with the same behavior. I think it is intentional, my guess is that they did because their over-revving protection feature can't kick in that fast since it's a pretty short gear. It doesn't really bother me because I mainly use the E-shift for engine assisted braking, and down to 2nd gear is fine for that (it's like ~10-20mph).

I rarely notice this since I have a garage at home, but I have noticed it a few times when leaving work in the winter. Perhaps it's to prevent the car from over-revving before it is really warmed up.

I don't think it's just not displaying, I don't think you have control over first gear. I haven't inquired about it since it doesn't bother me. I'd be curious to know whether all the other electronic shifting cars around (say BMW 3series, Acura TL Type-S, Infiniti G35, etc) let you shift to first.

Reply to
L Yin

Like yourself 'L Yin', I really don't view these E-shift behaviors as problems per say. Just a couple of things that I was curious about. But I do wish that the 1-2 and 2-3 shifts weren't so short in regards to the shift points when driving in regular 'D' mode. The vehicle doesn't get wound out very good in 'D' mode before it changes to a higher gear. At least when driving in 'M' mode the driver has control over the gear changes. That's the nice thing about the E-shift mode. I agree with your assessment that Lexus probably set up the E-shift's behavior to prevent IS300 drivers from over-revving their engines. Especially when speaking in terms of the extreme cold weather situation where it won't gear down lower than '3'.

J. Perry

Reply to
J. Perry