ES 350 GPS question

Can someone tell me what the "Record" function on the GPS does? It's found by pushing the "Map View" button on the screen. If I press "Record" I imagine it records the route that I take from where I am. Later when I press "Map View" and press button to stop recording it asks me if I want to save the trace on the screen. I say yes. Then what?

Exactly what would this function been used for? I was hoping I could save it so I could use the same route in the future, but apparently not.

Thanks

Reply to
googlemail2003