ES300/330 Laggy Transmission: Possibility of Class Action Lawsuit?

After a couple close calls this weekend due to the half second to 2 second lag during acceleration in my 2003 ES300, I'm fed up. I am seriously concerned that at some point, I will inadvertantly cause an accident because of this. The 'turning left at an intersection with oncoming traffic' maneuver really highlights this car's crappy transmission because oncoming traffic doesn't anticipate that the premium vehicle making the turn can't accelerate like a car that's half the price.

One of the more insidious aspects of this problem is that because you know that the Lexus doesn't accelerate when you really have to move, you will depress the pedal all the way in order to overcompensate, when in some cases that is not necessary. When I have the presence of mind to do it, I will sometimes downshift to 3rd or 2nd gear, but it can't be good to treat an auto transmission as if it's manual.

Is it possible to take action against Lexus because of this? Is there already something in the works because I'll join!

It's really a shame because the car is great on all other fronts (well, maybe the body roll stinks too, but it's not supposed to be a BMW).

Reply to
triplezzz

I mentioned this problem on my new owner survey. No response from Lexus. I'm with you! Can two of us start a class action. Wait a minute, I need to exhaust the possibility of the dealer correcting the problem. That shouldn't take too long.

Reply to
Bob Muse

I'm not saying this is the case with your issue, but lenghtly hesitations from a a dead start while turning are typically the traction control system intervening.

- Mark

Reply to
markjen

I have a 2002 ES300 without the traction control. I have this lag at slow speeds while turning. I'd love to claim lemon law on the transmission problems. This is my first, and will be my last, Lexus.

Reply to
Steve Larson

GOOD MAN, Steve! MAKE Lexus aware of this fact and then ... ACT on it soon (before the warranty is bust)!!

Reply to
Philip®

We should start by filing complaints with the NHTSA:

njbok

hesitations

Reply to
MRS

They were thinking exactly as they are supposed to think.

Engine software updates are distributed by Technical Service Bulletin, not recalls. The protocol is that TSBs are not implemented pro-actively - the customer has to complain. Lexus (and every other mfg) distributes literally thousands of TSBs for its cars every year, and attempting to pro-actively update all the cars in the field is not logistically or economically feasible. If the customer has an issue, they are supposed to do a search to see if the issue is addressed by the TSB. That's the way it works.

This is not a Lexus/Toyota thing - every car mfg has basically the same protocol.

BTW, I could be wrong, but I believe every 2002 ES300 has all-season traction control (ASC) while vehicle skid control (VSC) was an option. ASC is a more basic system that simply cuts power if either of the front wheels spins due to too much power for available traction. When you have the wheels turned sharply and you apply power from a dead stop, the turn and the power cause an abrupt unweighting of the inside front wheel - anything more than moderate throttle will engage the ASC system and cut power.

- Mark

Reply to
markjen

After reading all the horror stories of acceleration lag on the ES-330 series I have dropped that model from my consideration. My question is: Does the LS-430 have the same problem? Anybody with firsthand information? Thanks...

triplezzz wrote:

Reply to
RJM

The Ls-430 has the same problem, but to a much lesser extent. Sometimes it hesitates before accelerating. It does not happen often and will not happen at all in an emergency, since it will accelerate vigorously if you presss the gas quickly or hard. Floor the pedal and it flies. You should test drive it and see if it bothers you. Does not bother me - I got used to it and do not notice this anymore.

RJM wrote in news:cE_ic.9615$ snipped-for-privacy@newsread1.news.pas.earthlink.net:

Reply to
Col. Colin Campbell

My 2002 ES300 gags when I hit the pedal hard in an "emergency" situation. I've altered my driving habits to try and compensate, but it's still unnerving when it won't go when you need it.

Reply to
Steve Larson