ES350 Lexus Gasoline Requirement

We currently own a 2000 Toyota Avalon XLS, and were planning on upgrading to a new 2007 Lexus ES350. I did a comparison in Edmunds and discovered that Toyota has put the same engine in the Avalon and the Lexus, but has apparently increased the compression in the Lexus to obtain an additional 4 horsepower. Unfortunately, the info says that the ES350 now requires premium gasoline, while the Avalon (basically the same engine) still runs on regular.

Anyone know if this is true, or if the Lexus will run on the regular?

I can't believe that the Toyota engineers (marketing) would place a 30 cent-per-gallon cost premium (and 1 mpg less) on the consumer just to get an additional 4 HP !

Graybeard

Reply to
Graybeard

Check the owner's manual, but I believe that the *recommendation* is for premium for better performance and fuel economy, while regular will work. I've found that I actually get slightly poorer fuel economy using regular, and that the improved fuel economy on premium makes it a wash to use premium. Of course, your driving style and conditions may give you different results.

Reply to
Ray O

Thanks Ray: I understand that the knock sensor and computer will adjust the timing to prevent pre-ignition and allow running on lesser octane gasoline.

The interesting thing is that the specifications (Edmund) lists the mpg for the ES 350 as 1 mpg less than the Avalon, presumably using recommended fuel.

Doesn't it make you wonder about the wisdom making the decision to modify the Avalon configuration, since the two cars weigh almost the same (actually less than the Limited) ? I would think that with the 6-speed transmission, the ES350 would show superior numbers.

Graybeard

Reply to
Graybeard

You're welcome!

I believe that the recommended fuel for the 2007 Avalon is 91 octane, with the minimum octane being 87 - inn other words, the same as the ES 350.

I think that Toyota/Lexus would have been better off tuning both cars for regular instead of premium because of the general perception that premium is more expensive.

As far as the difference in MPG between the Avalon and ES, the engine and transmission are not the only things that are factored into the mileage calculation. I have not checked the engine horsepower, torque, curves, etc., but the same engine in different cars can have different performance due to differences in the length of the intake tube, exhaust, etc. Transmission shift points, gear ratios, tire size, and coefficient of drag are also figured in, but I agree, I would have thought that the ES 350 would have better fuel economy.

Reply to
Ray O

I had one and ran only regular with no problems through 12000 miles. I have since upgraded to a GS350.

Reply to
Carroll Boardway

I have a 2003 ES300 with 25,000 and have run nothing but regular in it since I bought it new. In fact the dealer rep recomended regular saying there was no reason to spend the extra money. I have had no problems and average 20 mpg in mostly stop and go traffic.

Reply to
Ice

My dealer (Towson Lexus, MD) recommended I get off premium on my 2006 GS300, after I complained about my exhaust pipes being so sooty... he said that should fix it, well it did not fix the soot problem, unless of course I should have removed the soot and started monitoring the exhaust pipes anew... but I did notice like Ray O. says a little loss in power, but definitely better mileage, about 2 mpg which is nothing to sneer at..... go figure Lexus..... the engine does not ping, of course the car is so quiet I can hear a bug fly inside...... as far as the mileage ratings, I agree with Ray O., a different gear ratio to give the car more pep and go, will definitely eat into the mileage..... still mileage wise, the bottom line is the driver....... if you race to a light and slam on the brakes, you will surely get poor mileage, if you drive texas-style (drive easy) you might make some younger people behind you impatient, but you will avoid accidents and police tickets plus and better mileage...

/Nick

Reply to
kitzler

The engines aren't the same. The 2000 Avalon is a 3.0L (or is it

3.3L?) while the ES350 has a 3.5L engine. That alone should account for a big difference in mpg figures. As it is, it's only 1 mpg less.

And that 4HP difference in power is erroneous. The ES350 comes to almost 270HP while the Avalon probably tops out at 210HP.

Reply to
-

If you check a comparison at Edmonds, they say the following:

2007 Avalon 2007 ES350

Engine Size 3.5 L 3.5 L Horsepower 268 @6200 rpm 272 @ 6200 rpm EPA est City 22 mpg 21 mpg EPA est Highway 31 mpg 30 mpg Fuel Type Regular Premium

Graybeard

Reply to
Graybeard

The engines are both 3.5 liter and have the same 268 hp. Check Edmunds.

Reply to
Carroll Boardway