es350 tranny problem?

Has anyone driven an ES350 and experienced a transmission lag problem?

Also, if you are an owner of one, would you recommend buying it again?

Many thanks -

Reply to
harlen

I own an ES350 and have not noticed a lag problem. However, since Lexus is more of a luxury brand, it is not nearly as responsive as an Infiniti.

Reply to
Carroll Boardway

I have an '05 ES330 and when I first bought it I did notice a transmission lag, but after I took it in for the first 5,000-mile checkup, it disappeared. I think the dealer must have installed a computer-program fix in the fuel-feed or mixture routine. From what I've read on this site, the lag problem has/had to do with a program error in the fuel feed or mixuture.

Reply to
Mike Piacente

Reply to
aniramca

are you a noticeable transmission lag (by both me and my wife when we each drove the car) is 'a matter of attitude and perception?' is any Lexus (or other automobile) problem 'a matter of attitude and perception?' Essentially, what you're saying is there is no such thing as reality, anything and everything is 'a matter of attitude and perception.'

Alot of people have posted to this web site as well as the us.lexusownersclub.com complaining of the same problem with their lexuses up to, and including, the 2005 model year. Are they/we all hallucinating?

I notice you stated that you have a 'brand new ES350 (sic)' which I assume you mean 2006? If so, then do you think that Lexus finally fixed the 'perceived' transmission lag problem in the '06s and that's why you don't have that problem? Just because you don't have/haven't had a problem experienced by other Lexus owners doesn't mean the problem doesn't exist.

After the dealer reprogrammed my '05 ES 330 computer, the lag is gone. I love the car and would consider buying Lexuses from now on.

Reply to
Mike Piacente

Do you own an Infiniti car? If you do, as a return buyer, would you buy a Lexus or Infiniti? We own a ES300 and it has been good to us.

Thanks -

Reply to
harlen

What some don't realize is that right after a reprogramming, or even after an oil change where the dealer resets the ECU, the transmission will behave more normally as it "learns" the driver's habits. It's after sufficient "learning" that the car will behave inconsistently. For the previous poster who cited JD Power, etc., he probably doesn't do any heavy rush hour stop-and-go type driving, which is where the problem rears its ugly head the worst. If you have the luxury of driving less aggressivtly, then he is right, you probably wouldn't notice the transmission "problem".

Reply to
Steve Larson

Reply to
aniramca

That's where the misconception is: the tranny lag does not manifest itself by speeding! It's when the car is slowing down (say when nearing a red light) and then you step on the gas (as when the light unexpectedly turns green and before the car completely stops).

Reply to
-

You, my friend, are blessed. I sure would like to get off the interstate, and I sure don't like the thick smog here in Atlanta.

Reply to
Steve Larson

Agreed, that's an accurate representation of its behavior. Add to that, when you do step on the gas after slowing down, the car often just doesn't know what to do. I've had it jerk heavily into gear or hesitate and do nothing. Frustrating.

Reply to
Steve Larson

Kudos to aniramca! I just bought a beautiful CPO 05 ES330 and love it. Have driven the hsck out of it trying to reproduce the so called tranny issues to no avail. The car is a "throttle by wire" acceleration so it WILL behave slight differently than a standatd throttle acceleration. Prior to purchasing this car i looked at the newsgroups. Lexus has sold hundreds of thousands of ES300's, 330's and with a few hundred people complaining about tranny issues I went for my new Lexus and love it. I have found a wealth of information on many newsgroups however, I find that people with gripes post much more frequently than those with compliments ar rave reviews. Just IMHO of course... Matt

transmission

Reply to
Matthew

And I'll bet you got the 05 at a bargain price too. They're not holding up too well on the resale market, confirmed last time I did a kbb and edmunds valuation of my 2002 ES300.

Reply to
Steve Larson

Reply to
thew60

I was disappointed the way the 2002 ES300 plummeted in resale value after 2 years of ownership.

Reply to
Steve Larson

actually, the resale value I'm referring to is what you would get for the car if you traded it or sold it, not what Lexus would get when they put a CPO sticker on it and resell it at a premium.

Reply to
Steve Larson

Matthew, I too have an 05 ES330 which I bought new. Unlike you, I wouldn't say I love it. I do have the tranny issue if you're speaking of the hesitation and/or lurch. The service rep at the dealership told me to drive it for several thousand miles and it should get better since the electronic tranmission adjusts to the owner's driving style. Well, I did that and it did get better, but, frankly, I don't know if if the car adjusted to me or I adjusted to the car. It wasn't perfect, so I brought it back to the dealer for the installation of the transmission software update. They checked the car and told me it already had the update and there was nothing wrong with the car. I told them it still jerks sometimes, but not as much. We then went for a test drive, and, wouldn't you know it, it didn't jerk. Frankly, the reason I bought a Lexus was so that I wouldn't have these kind of problems. Also, after finding out what the dealer charges for maintenance service, I am thinking of going elsewhere. I don't like paying $140 for an oil change, rotation, and routine inspection. And at some points, like

15,000 miles and 30,000, they really sock it to you. I believe I may have been better off buying a well eqipped, 6 cyl., Camry. Al

"Matthew" wrote in message news:OnmPg.100$ snipped-for-privacy@newsfe11.lga...

Reply to
Al

exactly the line of thought I have gone through. Although I like the 2007 Camry a whole bunch better than in 2002 when I bought my ES.

Reply to
Steve Larson

Russell went out looking for young boys, we found the whole car to be an embarassing difficulty.

I had to call my good friend Rock Strong in to help, lest I find myself without some tender young 'twink meat' to spend the night with. I'm diseased as many of you now know (sorry).

But I'm still after a good time! No tranny will stop me from spreading my hepatitis! I didn't want it in the first place so I'm going to freely spread it to others the same way my wife gave it to me!

Now for a few gluten free snacks, my stomach is *killing* me!

Love and Kisses..

Stevie, Rocko, RS, Russell, et al...

Reply to
howard.aubrey