Expensive Lexus Repair Bills?

I had the turn-signal TSB done (free under warranty) on my 2000 ES300 recently. The "invoice" they gave me had the cost part (column on the right side) scrambled. I insisted on getting a copy of the carbon-copy of the invoice they keep for themselves that showed the prices. I noticed that the entire cost was under $50 (parts + labor) for this turn signal replacement procedure.

Can anyone who has had this service performed out-of-warranty please post the actual amount you paid to the dealership?

I also had the Idle Air Control Valve cleaned under warranty(?) for free. This was because my ES300 stalled once on me right after I tried to start it. Again, I was not told the cost, and I had to ask for the copy that displayed the cost incurred. Cost was $40 for labor and $2.94 for a gasket. Under $50 again. This is a real bargain. But they did keep my 2000 ES300 for 4 days, and they told me they had to order a part that was not readily available (the gasket?).

What would this service have cost me if my Lexus was not under warranty?

Reply to
Iona Camry

Too funny, a couple of times I was checking out after an oil change, the cashier is delivering the bill to a female customer. Both times the total was around $1000, both times I heard a small gasp. I took mine in for a 15k oil change, figured it would be $75-100, they hadn't told me otherwise. Turns out they had this super duper regional special 15k service. My bill was for almost $500. I about fell over, but I paid it. When I regained my balance the next day, I requested a refund, which they were good enough to provide.

I will probably visit my local Toyota dealership for service once I hit 48k miles...

Reply to
Steve Larson

Our experience with a RX 300 was $150.00 for minor service at 5k and $480.00 at 15k. The 30k service was over $700. Parts and service for Lexus autos are expensive -- probably because you have the bucks and they know it.

Reply to
twaugh5

I believe the law in some states require them to provide you with an estimate which you must acknowledge before they can start to work on your car.

Reply to
Iona Camry

The Lexus dealer quoted me $495 for the 30k service for my 2000 ES300. I suspect different dealers do different things.

$500 would be a good deal if they do ALL of: change (incl. the controversial flush?) engine oil (about $25 for the 29-minute oil change at a Toyota dealership) flush transmission (about $120 at a Toyota dealership, not including the cost of the Type T-IV fluid) flush differential(?) flush power steering (about $100 at a Toyota dealership) flush radiator (about $100 at a Toyota dealership) flush brake system (about $100 at a Toyota dealership) replace engine air filter replace cabin air filter (I mean REPLACE, not inspect and determine that it is still OK for use to save some bucks)

4-wheel alignment and tire-rotation wash/wax/vaccuum/shampoo, etc. the car remove the spark plugs and put them back in (so that they don't fuse into the aluminum engine block after 100K miles) clean the Idle Air Control Valve so your engine doesn't stall on you like mine did. adjust parking brakes And do whatever it takes to stop this damn ES300 brake squeal. Even a Ford Escort isn't as annoying.

Did I miss anything? :)

Reply to
Iona Camry

Those prices seem a bit on the high side. Of course it really depends in what part of the county you live. Smaller market dealers have to charge more. I live in the Los Angeles area and I own a 1999 GS400 that I bought new. The maintenance has been quite reasonable. My 30K mile service was $300.72. All of my minor services have been well under $100. Even my 50k mile service, which included replacing the front brakes (1st time) was only $320.19. All of the work has been done at the dealer. Currently I have 54k miles on the car and it is still going strong. No problems at all. Absolutely the best car I have ever owned...period!

CR

Reply to
Cyberspace Raider

Reply to
twaugh5

CR:

I also live in the greater LA area. The prices you quote seem reasonable. Might I inquire which dealer you use for service? My GS has only 5000 miles so I do not yet know if my dealer has high service charges. Thanks..... SF

Reply to
sf/gf

Longo Lexus

CR

Reply to
Cyberspace Raider

Pay it up idiots, Hirohito is rolling over in his grave laughing his riceballs out!

Reply to
noyap

If Hirohito's Lexus had a brake squeal problem like my 2000 ES 300 Platinum Series that the Lexus Service Consultants claim is normal, he wouldn't be laughing so hard.

But something tells me Hirohito would be better off with a Toyota Tercel than he would with a Ford Escort.

Reply to
Iona Camry

More than likely he thought he'd take over Ford, GM, and all the others!

Reply to
noyap